Tinted lacquer

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I want to refinish a desk in white. I thought about doing something with milk paint to make it look antique, but now leaning to something that looks cleaner/ more modern using a tinted lacquer. Any recommendations on brand/ source (Cary)? I'll be using an Earlex 5500 to spray it.

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Be careful spraying CV's or lacquers over unknown finishes. may wrinkle or dissolve existing finish. I always degrease and seal coat with catalyzed vinyl prior to finishing with CV's.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I want to refinish a desk in white. I thought about doing something with milk paint to make it look antique, but now leaning to something that looks cleaner/ more modern using a tinted lacquer. Any recommendations on brand/ source (Cary)? I'll be using an Earlex 5500 to spray it.
SW has a stock white pre-cat you can pick up at your local branch. Solid colors are pigmented, not tinted.

Solid colors are a different world when it comes to experience and application. You may want to experiment a bit.

You may want to try their Extreme Bond Primer and Emerald Urethane, which is more suited to your equipment and much easier to spray for the hobbyists.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Target Coatings pigmented lacquer is a good product. I used the same Earlex to spray a kitchen and was very happy with it (other than me learning how to spray).

Re: primer I've used BIN shellac but it would be wise to Jeff Weiss first.

TB2

New User
Kent
SW also has a primer surfacer pre cat. As Robb said. It should be clean. Always spray the primer two coats then the top coat. Mostly low gloss. When customers want a color then I have them match it.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have several of the products recommended above. I have sprayed the following on furniture and built ins:
- Target pigmented 'lacquer' which is really a water borne acrylic that 'burns-in' like a lacquer. Recommend it. I have used with their primer - the product name of which I can't recall, but not hard to find on their site. I just looked; it's the HSF 5000 primer (presumabl;y HSF is high solid filler)
- SW Sherwood Kem Aqua plus - not at every store, but it is available - used with their universal primer (as recommended by Chris in my previous post of a month or two ago). Recommend this too - easy to use and spray.

I have only brushed SW Emerald Urethane but liked it too. What I do like is that this product can be used over a wide variety of existing finishes, without a primer coat; ask at your paint store about specifics.

mpeele

michael
User
I use Mohawk pre-cat lacquer and get it from Klingspor in Cary. I've used several other brands and quite frankly I don't any of them have a significant overall advantage.
What I use mostly is pre-cat high build sealer, vinyl sealer and pre-cat lacquer.

There are several reasons why have I settled in with the Mohawk brand.
1. Just have to drive a few miles to get it.
2. Lacquer system is available in 10oz spray, gallons and 5 gallon cans. I know solvent based is available in all three but I don't know about water based products.
I keep 10 oz cans for small and repair projects. They have black, white and clear lacquer. I have used Trans Tint dyes in the white and clear. UTC should work also.
3. They have pre-cat and non-cat lacquer and water based pre-cat. Haven't used water base product.
4. They have more sheens than one can use. I just use gloss and semi-gloss. Initial coats are gloss and last coat is a non-gloss.
5. They have stains and toners.
6. Their reducers and retarders solve temperature/humidity issues.
7. I can spray out of the can.
8. Price is good. and they used to have Jay Cash at Klingspor.

That said one would expect any finish suppler to cover 2 through 7 so the real reasons I like it is really reasons 1 & 8.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bas, several months ago I built a kitchen island and finished it with General Finishes Enduro White Poly. It was my first project using water-based poly and I am extremely pleased with the results. I also used an Earlex 5500 HVLP sprayer. Additionally, while the product is white, my wife wanted an off-white finish; consequently, we added small amounts of colorant (blue, yellow, and sienna) to achieve the tint that satisfied her. Here are a couple of pics of the completed project.

293A1462-E30D-4B69-85B4-33F3C67EA990.jpeg
A6C4DB44-5BEA-4FAB-9F06-1E838394D2C0.jpeg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks for the great input everyone! Nice to have different options. I'm encouraged by the number of waterborne products. Solvent-based lacquer is super easy to spray, it dries fast, but it doesn't do well in heat/ humidity. I don't have a shop right now, so I'd have to spray in the garage/ outside, and that means waiting at least another month or it'll blush more than a nun at a harvest festival.

Looks like I have a trip to Klingspor in the near future and check things out.

@drw Don I never heard of white poly before, the finished product looks great. I assume you have to sand between coats. Did you put any kind of primer or sealer on it first?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Thanks for the great input everyone! Nice to have different options. I'm encouraged by the number of waterborne products. Solvent-based lacquer is super easy to spray, it dries fast, but it doesn't do well in heat/ humidity. I don't have a shop right now, so I'd have to spray in the garage/ outside, and that means waiting at least another month or it'll blush more than a nun at a harvest festival.

Looks like I have a trip to Klingspor in the near future and check things out.

@drw Don I never heard of white poly before, the finished product looks great. I assume you have to sand between coats. Did you put any kind of primer or sealer on it first?
Bas, indeed I did prime prior to finish application. The primer was General Finishes Stain Blocker, two coats sanding after each coat. Once I started applying the waterborne poly, I did not sand between coats. The finish went on very smoothly and dried quickly. As I recall, I applied four coats of finish which I applied in a single day.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have sprayed a few cars and motorcycles. Tried a clear coat on wood once and it was superb, the problem being four times the price of wood finishes.
Many of the larger shops have tons of left over paint they are willing to part with.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like Resisthane including the white tinted. It burns in so you don't have to sand between coats. It works best if sprayed over a good white primer - I use theirs which is also water borne and stain blocking. The last project I finished with it was a crib for my youngest grand kid. It shows a little wear where he gas gone in and out but I think any finish would. This finish dries fast enough it isn't hard to put on four coats in a day.

JLP

New User
Joey
M L Campbell can mix any color Lacquer you want in Pre- Cat or Post-Cat and to help with humility you use a retardant to slow drying to stop the blushing

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Furniture Doctor Inc , Augusta Ga It’s a nation wide product but they will ship to you there phone number is 706 -798-5951
Thanks. I can get it from Horizon Forest Products in Raleigh, but there and back is a 3 hour drive and I have to mail them a color sample to match, then wait 5 days.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS