Time on a thickness sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richgod

New User
Richard
Hi-

I need to buy/rent (or donations gratefully accepted!!) a short amount of time on a large thickness sander in short travel distance of Raleigh, NC.

I'm working on a butcher block counter top. 28.5"x52"x2.25" thick. I chipped a few places on some glue joints when scraping the glue prior to belt/finish sanding, and am in hopes of being able to run it through a thickness sander 3-4 time on the face to get it evened out. Looks like I need to take it down about 1/32-1/16 inch.

If not, back to the 80grit on the belt sander!

Richard

Richgod

New User
Richard
Never mind, I found one. A cabinet company in Wake Forest, NC is letting my use their sander on Friday...

Richard

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Richgod said:
Never mind, I found one. A cabinet company in Wake Forest, NC is letting my use their sander on Friday...

Richard

Richard, what does something like that run you if you don't mind me asking.

D L

Richgod

New User
Richard
<LOL> We're not sure yet.

He has never done this before...could be we 'trade out' something, or I buy the sanding belt(s) we wear out, or I pay an hourly rate.... At any rate, it is better than me screwing it up further with my 3x21 belt sander!

I'll let you know.

Richard

woodguy1975

New User
John
You could have used mine if you were closer. For guys on the forum it is free. For other folks I charge a min of $25.00. If the paper is damaged or ruined they have to cover that as well.

Anyone needing sanding help is welcome to stop by Hickory. :)

Richgod

New User
Richard
Well, my butcher block is all sanded down thanks to Rick at Counterpoint Woodshop in Wake Forsest. 5 passes through the machine, (4 top, 1 bottom) nice and smooth. No charge.

Turns out he (Rick) is selling the shop next month and retiring (and hopefully joining this list soon) and has a passel of nice lumber up for grabs. Hopefully when he joins, he can provide a detailed inventory/prices.

I picked up a piece of curly maple and a piece of (curly??) red oak. Has nice figure in 2/3 of the board, we really didn't know WHAT to call it! AND I had my eye on a 12/4x12(?)X' piece of black walnut, but had to leave it...<sigh> That's the price you pay for living in the 'burbs with no storage. Wish I was back home on the farm in Black Mountain now.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Come to think of it I think I used to buy wood from him yrs ago. You could take your glue-ups back to him and he would plane them for free. Sorry to hear he is retiring

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Sounds like you got a good deal there Richard. Hopefully Rick will take you up on your offer to join the site. Thanks for helping to spread the word.:icon_thum

D L

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
The figured cherry in the desk I use every day came from Counterpoint.

Mmm..12" wide figured cherry.:bbiggrin:

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors