Time for a table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss600r

New User
Steve
In the next week or two I want to purchase a table saw. I have not owned one in a very long time and it was just a $100 or so saw new. I'm not opposed to a portable but would prefer something more solid like a hybrid. I do want to be able to do 3/4 dado cuts and the kicker is I would like to try and stay close to the $250 range. I don't mind buying something used and this actually caught my eye http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/1794113670.html I just wonder about the rust. What do you guys think about this and do you have any recommendations? Just using a circular saw is getting old.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I don't think you can get a new saw within your price range that will handle a 3/4" dado stack. But the Ridgid TS3650 is an excellent saw, plenty of power and a good fence. I wouldn't worry too much about the rust if it's just on the surface, just make sure it's not pitted. It's newer cousin the Ridgid R4511 was on sale recently for $300, so offer $250 for this one and see if the seller will take it.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I'm with Bas. Offer a little less. More than likely he expects to lower the price and needs to get rid of it. Probably nothing wrong with this saw. Looks like it is in a dry garage so rust probably is not more than on surface. Even if it is pitted some, it will still cut wood just fine.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I don't think you can get a new saw within your price range that will handle a 3/4" dado stack. But the Ridgid TS3650 is an excellent saw, plenty of power and a good fence. I wouldn't worry too much about the rust if it's just on the surface, just make sure it's not pitted. It's newer cousin the Ridgid R4511 was on sale recently for $300, so offer $250 for this one and see if the seller will take it.

+2 on what Bas said. If it's just surface rust on the top, there are several ways to get it off. I like to wrap a piece of sandpaper around a flat block of wood and sand it just like you would a flat table top. But I'd check out the innards carefully just to make sure. Take a flashlight with you to inspect it, and of course, listen to it run. If you can get it for $250 or less, its probably a good starter saw.

Bill

ss600r

New User
Steve
If I could find a new one for $300 that would really fit the bill I would go for it. I figured the guy with the CL ad would take less since he said make offers. I think I might go check out that Direct Tool place in concord mills also and see if they have anything. I just want to make sure I'm looking in the right direction. Thanks for the replies.

crokett

New User
David
I don't think you can get a new saw within your price range that will handle a 3/4" dado stack.

A used BT3000 or BT3100 can be had for 100 bucks, if you can find one. I own one. This past January it has been 9 yrs. I have a 3/4 dado stack set up in it right now. That being said, if you can get that Ridgid for 200 bucks it is a decent deal.

Sully

New User
jay
The best way to remove that rust is with a razor blade. It will scrape right off fairly easily once you get a feel for the appropriate angle (about 30 degrees). One of these days I'm gonna make a razor "plane" specifically for this purpose. I would avoid any abrasizes, e.g. sandpaper, except as a last resort.

After you have removed the bulk of the rust with a razor, gently hit the top with some 800 grit or higher sandpaper, followed by steel wool, wax and buff. Call it good and put it to use. It doesn't need to be super shiny to serve its function. You want to avoid changing the flatness of any reference surface, especially a table saw top.

$0.02
J

tjgreen

New User
Tim
I've got a TS3650 - bought it when they went on clearance ahead of the granite-top saws a couple years back. It's a great saw for the money, passes the nickel test no problem, and cuts most everything I throw at it without complaining too much. I don't throw anything thicker than 7/8" though, think that'd be asking for trouble. If in good working order, $250 would be very fair.

Honestly, if I had it to do over, I wouldn't have bought new, even at the deal I got. I definitely wouldn't buy a new saw for $300 - so much old iron out there in the $50 to $500 range that beats the pants off most of the contractor saws I looked at. Personally, I wish I'd held out for an older unisaw - never have to replace it, great fence system, and it'll drive that 3/4" dado no problem. Either that, or an older benchtop saw - they were belt-driven and built tough, and I see them on CL for less than $100 pretty regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors