Thumb vs. tablesaw.....tablesaw wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Well, it finally happened. Just one brief lapse in concentration and I spent 6 hours in the ER last night. I got to the ER at 7:30 PM and got home at 1:45 AM. They X-rayed the wound, cleaned it and sutured it.After dinner, I went to the shop to continue working on a chest of drawers. I said "as soon as this piece is cut and installed, I'll call it a night." I'm left handed and have a massive wound on my left thumb. The radial nerve running down down the right side of the thumb and the tendon are cut. I was scheduled for surgery this morning but it has now been postponed until Tuesday. They aren't very encouraged that they will be able to find enough of the nerve to reattach it. The nerve does not have any elasticity so it can't be stretched. They are much more confident that the tendon can be reattached since it does have elasticity. There is also a slight cut into the bone of the joint (the one at the end of the thumb) and I am not able to bend that joint due to the cut into the bone and the cut tendon. Their big concern is infection. They say that with a joint injury there is a high risk of infection. To say I was frustrated when they postponed the surgery would be an understatement. It seems to me that with a high risk of infection that surgery would be performed as soon as possible. I was told that there is a 1% to 2% chance of failure of the surgery. Although that is a very high chance of success, 100% is better. But you play the hand that is dealt and put your faith in God and the surgeon and hope for the best. Well, enough of that.

One last thing. This wouldn't have happened with a Sawstop, but it also would not have happened had I been using a blade guard. Assuming that I will be able to continue to do woodworking, you can rest assured that a guard will be used in the future.

I'll keep you all posted and hope that someone will benefit from my experience. You know what they say...no pics, it didn't happen. Believe me when I say that it did.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Wow Stuart I hate that has happened to you. I will say a prayer for you. Where did you cut it? It wasnt real clear to me.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Sorry to hear and good luck.

I hate my blade guard on my old Bt3100. But right as I was about to remove it i just thought this is the day I cut my hand off if I do it. So its still there.

Rob

New User
Rob
I cut my thumb 15 or so years ago, just the end, not the joint. Had I had the guard on, I wouldn't have done it. I put the guard back on, but removed it several months later while ripping a long piece. It was in the way. Now I'm just extremly careful around the TS.

I do hope your surgery is succesful. Good luck.

JohnW

New User
John
Stuart,
Very sorry about your accident. Good luck on your surgery and recovery. And thank you for sharing your story....message received.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I feel your pain and I hate to hear that! I had a similar accident a few years ago. It cost me $ 7,500 but I still have a thumb.

My surgeon was awesome, he's here in Charlotte, but he specializes in Thumbs! It's like a weird obsession. If you get the least bit uneasy with your doctor, I suggest you call Dr Gaul with OrthoCarolina. He is literally that good it's worth the drive.

He sat me down the next morning and said, ok here's what we can do and what most doctors recommend. I can cut your thumb off at the knuckle and you'll be good to go in 3-4 weeks. Or I can save your thumb by doing a skin graft procedure that requires me sewing your thumbe to your forefinger and blah blah blah.

Long story short I went with his procedure, once my deductible was hit it didn't cost me anymore money and now (3-1/2) years later I rarely have any issues related to my thumb.

The huge bright side is with my whittled down narrow thumb, blackberry buttons are a breeze!:rotflm: If you can't laugh at life it ain't worth living is my motto.

If you want to chat w/someone who's been through it, I'm available.

R

rickc

I am sorry to hear about your mishap. Give it some time and see what develops. I can't help but think they won't know what they are dealing with until they actually open the thumb up - maybe everything is there. I guess there are worse things than coming out of something like that with mobility but without feeling in the thumb, but let's hope you have a full recovery. I am sure you could keep on doing woodworking with a few adjustments, but let's stay hopeful that you will just get a little respite and be back at it soon.

Maybe a word to the wise for ALL of us to be a extra careful. This is the time of year we start doing our holiday rush, trying for that "one last cut" on a Christmas present before we call it a day. Maybe the time to call it a day is the moment that thought comes to mind!

Hang in there Stuart - you are in the thoughts and prayers of a lot of friends and family!

Glennbear

Glenn
Sorry to hear about your injury Stuart, I pray for a good surgical outcome and rapid recovery. I am one who will benefit from your story, I use the guards whenever possible and your story of misfortune reinforces my habit.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Stuart, I hope the surgery is a complete success, and I wish you all the best in these next few days. The waiting must be incredible difficult.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I wish you a speedy, successful recovery. All the words in the world can not remove the incident. I am sure you will find a way to continue woodworking.

Jerry

skeeter

New User
Charles
Stuart, I'm very sorry about your accident. Good luck on your surgery and hope you have a full recovery. You are in my prayers.

Sorry it happened but I hope it helps to keep safety on all our minds.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Makes me cringe just thinking about it. Hope it heals up quickly and completely for you.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I am so sorry to hear of your accident. I hope all goes well. Let me know if you need anything... I'm just around the corner.

Bob

russellellis

New User
Russell
Man, sorry to hear about that. I think most people, in some way, can relate. Hope you recover fully.

Ive had my share of mishaps before with a variety of tools. When i was a freshman in high school, a blade gaurd on a circular saw became stuck and as i sat the saw down it caused a nasty kickback and it completely ate the side of my right palm up. To this day, 18 years later, i still have limited feeling from my wrist all the way to the tip on my pinky finger. 5 internal stitches, 10 exterior and two butterfly staples, and a repaired nerve.
Working on a house in Durham one time, ripping 4x4s down a bit, my boss was feeding and i was catching. Something happened and my left ring finger became familiar with the blade. HAVE NO CLUE HOW IT HAPPENED.

Takes a while to heal, so i hope you make it thru alright.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I just bought a table saw and used one for the first time very recently. The thing scares me - especially given my lack of experience. I know my fear isn't unfounded. Thanks for your post - I will continue to be vigilant with safety concerns. I hope your recovery is quick and effective!

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear of your accident. :eek: It is always that last rush cut that will get you. :eusa_doh: Good luck on your surgery and hope you have a full recovery.:icon_thum

Danny

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Sorry to hear about this ... never want a "I cut myself" story", but they happen and we all have to be careful. Take care of your hand and keep us posted on recovery.

DavidF

New User
David
Take care Stuart and good luck with the operation. You're not a million miles from me so if you need anything or need a woodworking chat fix in somebody elses workshop, then come on over.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Ouch!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your injury Stuart.

I was lucky with all my woodworking injuries- all were DS (cranial rectal insertion) on my part, and no SawStop or guard would have prevented them- but I kept all my appendages and just picked up some relatively minor scars.

The comment about rushing to get XMAS presents done is a good one. In addition to the mental issue mentioned above, most of my mishaps were the result of being in too much of a hurry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors