Three Wheel Band Saw - A Shamfull Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have a 24" Laguna band saw and keep a wide carbide tipped installed. Anytime any curved cuts are needed a blade change is required along with readjusting the guides. I decided that a small band saw would be a good addition to the shop. The odds of my winning the one at the picnic were astronomical since winning the Kapex last year so I decided to start looking for one to purchase. Found this one on Craig's List. Although it is larger and heavier than what I had in mind, there was no way I could pass on it at fifty bucks. Have not cut with it yet, but will as soon as the blades I ordered arrive.
IMGP0233.JPG

View image in gallery

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a 24" Laguna band saw and keep a wide carbide tipped installed. Anytime any curved cuts are needed a blade change is required along with readjusting the guides. I decided that a small band saw would be a good addition to the shop. The odds of my winning the one at the picnic were astronomical since winning the Kapex last year so I decided to start looking for one to purchase. Found this one on Craig's List. Although it is larger and heavier than what I had in mind, there was no way I could pass on it at fifty bucks. Have not cut with it yet, but will as soon as the blades I ordered arrive.

FIFTY BUCKS!!!!! :eek:

I think I speak for everyone here when I say,

YOU SUCK!

:rotflm:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Nice score, Dino! I don't know whether to respond with a "you suck" or a "you rock"....:gar-La;

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is a remarkably good band saw. I had one back in the late 80s. It will do everything but resaw which you have covered with your 24. I paid $150 for mine and sold it for $200 after several years use.

I'm sure you will be satisfied with that purchase.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congrats, Dino! :eusa_danc I'm fortunate to have two band saws, one for resaw and one for curves. What a convenience.

Bill

bwat

New User
Bill
Truly a steal, congrats! :icon_thum I'm curious about how well it performs in the use you describe. Seems blade breakage with 3 wheelers is an issue with some. If you find otherwise with a good blade please post a review as this would be an ideal 2nd bandsaw for those of us that are "space challenged". I had looked at the new smaller Rikon to fill this need but the depth of cut is too small. This 16" model may be the ticket?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I had a Grizzly 12". The issue is that there is a tight radius on the upper and lower wheels (also the back one, but since the angle is obtuse, it has less of an effect) and thinner blades handle that bend better. But they are weaker and can't be tensioned as much. I think it will make a great little second saw. When I broke blades on the Griz, it was usually when I was doing something that would have been relegated to a large 2 wheel, but I didn't have one.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
The 12" Griz I had came with a 0.014" thick blade that was 62" long. Being a woodworking genius, I knew that the 62" blades sold for the 10" 2 wheel saws were 0.025" thick and would surely cut straighter and last longer. Wrong! They did not like that tight bend very much at all. It looks like the 16" Delta does have larger wheels than that Griz I had, but I am guessing they are still only 8" or less.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Re: Three Wheel Band Saw - A Shamfull Gloat Conclusion

I finally got the blades today and the saw is up and running - running great as a matter of fact. The blades I had ordered happened to be just what Mike suggested; 3/16th x 6 tpi. I also installed new ceramic guides as they allow the blade to rub on them but still remain cool. The saw is vibration free, the cut is very smooth and cuts with no noticeable drift. Price aside, I was skeptical of a Delta three wheeler from what I had read but Inca sure made a good one so I thought I'd give it a go. After a good cleaning and tune up, I am sure it will be "just the ticket". Right again Mike, but that's no real surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS