Threaded Rod Handle Drill Press

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I bought a drill press a few months ago that was missing one of the handles. I’ve searched McMaster car without success. Any other ideas where I can find a 7/16-14 threaded rod with knob handle?

Attachments

• 1BE80C8C-B8D0-49E6-976B-5B0A4C764498.jpeg
    1BE80C8C-B8D0-49E6-976B-5B0A4C764498.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 230

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thanks all! Still searching...

I've found some handles on eBay that may work, but I hate paying $30+ for something so simple.

I'm leaning toward Steve's idea.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Tap it yourself or just buy some all thread and cover all with a piece of stainless tubing, or a hollowed out dowel ....... oh yeah you would need a drill press for that - :p

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Oh haha, by "Guaranteed to have what you need" what I meant was "Will have every other knob on the planet except the one you need." Sorry.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Oh haha, by "Guaranteed to have what you need" what I meant was "Will have every other knob on the planet except the one you need." Sorry.

Right, I knew exactly what you meant!

Funny that in this day and age making your own part might be the easiest solution. I keep promising myself to revert back to blacksmithing and pure hand woodworking to rid reliance on parts I can't find or afford. I think I spent an hour looking for that handle on the web—it was probably easier to find 50 years ago. But I'm also addicted to design software, so there's that problem, too. (I do have a couple of drafting tables and parallel bars floating around.) And maybe ye ol' saw pit is a solution to modern exercise machines and dependence on healthcare necessitated by the modern lifestyle?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thanks again all! Making it myself still seems like the solution. I’d never imagined this would be that difficult of a part to find. It’s for a Sprunger still press.

As an aside, an interesting book on modernization and how it affects us: Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work

Attachments

• FD174B15-4060-4636-9D95-1B38E24F439B.jpeg
    FD174B15-4060-4636-9D95-1B38E24F439B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 181

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I bought a drill press a few months ago that was missing one of the handles. I’ve searched McMaster car without success. Any other ideas where I can find a 7/16-14 threaded rod with knob handle?
Research "threaded studs", along with knobs. Also search "gear lever handles." Thank God for paper catalogues!

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
A google search for "7/16-14 long bolt" turned up some long bolts with long unthreaded portions. A google search for "7/16-14 knob" turned up a variety of knobs some as cheap as $1. You probably could cobble something together from those search results.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS