This SUCKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Ahhh, the joys of the basement workshop... :-?

IMG_0442.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh, man you're getting the rains we are having here. I'm up to 3.5 inches, nothing in the shop yet. Well, at least you have everything up on mobile bases and those absorbant walnut plane shavings around which will suck up some of it. The water here is up to the shop door, but not coming in yet. Hope you got paste wax on everything and a mop. Least you ain't in New Orleans.....

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Well, it's been nearly a week and my basement STILL was not totally dry. All the water was gone, but it still just felt damp down there. I went out and bought a hygrometer, and discovered that the relative humidity is 45-50% in the house, and 75+% in the basement! So, I decided to fix it:

IMG_0506.jpg

Picked up this dehumidifier. It's only been running for a little over an hour and already has about 1/2 gallon of water in the bucket! 8-O That should do it!

Back to woodworking soon...

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Those things will pull a lot of moisture out for sure. We used to run one but you couldn't keep the piano in tune and my guitars would have the fret ends sticking out.

Good luck. I can come get that drum sander and "store" it for you if you need it out from underfoot for a while. :lol:

Monty

New User
Monty
Yep, apparently you can overdo it with these things. When you first turn it on, it's in "on" mode - no regulation. But you can set the thing to maintain whatever R.H. you want. My goal is to keep the shop RH at least close to that in the house. I think I'm going to keep it around 50-55%. I don't know, I'll have to see how it works. I'll be happy if it just keeps the humidity more STABLE in the shop.

Those dovetails corners I made last week - I brought them upstairs and left them. They started out snug (mallet needed for assembly), but now they are noticeably easier to pull apart. No visible gaps, but still kind of indicative of a problem, IMHO.

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
You may have discovered a method for my perfect hand cut dovetail.

I get the humidity to about 5% in my shop, cut them like normal, then move them out of the shop until they swell to fit. ;-)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Yes it does suck. I hope this is not a common occurrence for you. You may not need to hear this but pay close attention or you will see those tendrils of rust begin on your cast iron surfaces....Sorry you are having the problem...:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS