This NEVER happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
About a month ago, I finished my latest project - a copy of the 1640 Andreas Ruckers harpsichord. A couple of weeks later, I got a phone call asking me if I could supply a harpsichord for a pair of concerts to be given by Leon Schelhase, a professional harpsichordist and professor at the Curtis Institute of Music. As you can imagine, I don't often get a chance to hear one of my instruments played by an accomplished professional, so I jumped at the chance. I didn't attend the first concert which was given in Beaufort, NC, but Sandy and I went to the second concert at the Music House in Greenville, NC. It's amazing how good a harpsichord can sound in the hands of a world-class harpsichordist.

Mr. Schelhase was kind enough to introduce me to the audience as the instrument's builder. At the end of the concert, a woman came up to me, checkbook in hand, and bought the harpsichord on the spot. This NEVER happens. Her husband said it was the most expensive concert he ever attended.:) We delivered the instrument yesterday.

Unfortunately, the concert wasn't recorded. However, if you'd like to hear Mr. Schelhase play, he has several videos on his website.

Thanks for looking.
Ernie

attachment.php

Attachments

• RUCKERS-2017.jpg
    RUCKERS-2017.jpg
    898.7 KB · Views: 379

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
That's really great Earnie! The quality and beauty of the instruments you build are really priceless!

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Congratulations, Ernie....on several things.....finishing the build, getting the request to supply a harpischord for the concert, getting to hear your instrument played by an accomplished professional, public recognition as the builder, and finally, selling your harpischord on the spot. Sounds like you had a pretty good month. :) Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Congratulations, Ernie. I'm always in awe of your craftsmanship, and now we see the world see you as we do.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Outstanding accomplishment, Ernie! Kudos to both you and your wife on such a beautiful instrument!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm proud to know a craftsman and genius such as yourself. And was totally impressed the time I got to visit your workshop and home filled with miniature Harpsichords. Everything was beautifully done. Karma sometimes works in your favor instead of against you. Congrats on the stroke of good luck.

gritz

New User
Robert
Congratulations Ernie!
This is like the story of a "fiddle" being auctioned with little interest,
which was then was played masterfully by an old man,
which then became a "violin,"
and was finally sold at a high price.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Fantastic looking instrument... is the soundboard all-wooden? Is that typically how you make them? I like the Latin inscription too. I was up at Colonial Williamsburg and I talked the ear off thed harpsichord maker... had a great time and learned a lot. Your craft is truly an art apart.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Fantastic looking instrument... is the soundboard all-wooden? Is that typically how you make them? I like the Latin inscription too. I was up at Colonial Williamsburg and I talked the ear off thed harpsichord maker... had a great time and learned a lot. Your craft is truly an art apart.

Yes, the soundboard is made of six to seven 1/8" thick pieces of quarter sawn sitka spruce edge glued to make up the soundboard panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS