This makes me chuckle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Obviously we are in high demand that someone would go as far as forging their registration to get some info off NCWW. This is an e-mail reply I got after denying an out of area registrant -

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Dave O'Nan wrote:

> Hey Sean, I can't accept your registration as it is against our
> membership policy, we are trying to keep it local in an effort to keep
> the membership intimate and not to numerous. But I did contact Ernie
> on your behalf and he gave me his e-mail to contact him for the
> information that you are looking for enm@ernestmillerharpsichords.com
> . Ernie is a great guy and he loves to share his knowledge. As of
> right now his tutorial/build blog is only available on our site, but
> it is soon going to be published and available everywhere. But e-mail Ernie and I am sure he will hook you up.
>
> Good luck and thanks for your interest in NCWw'er

Not a problem. You can also remove the "ncharps" account (attached, i believe, to seanpdx1976@gmail.com). Sorry to sidestep the registration requirements -- it was just easier to do it that way. I fully understand wanting to keep things local, and I have no interest in undermining that goal. Just wanted the harpsichord stuff. No hard feelings I hope. =D

-- Sean...

I've always said that if someone is smart enough to look up a valid NC zip and make up their location they want to be a member enough. Plus how would we know?

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Well, it's not just about preventing people from registering. By clearly stating up front that this is a regionally oriented site, we can also kick people out afterward or ignore their complaints. For example, if someone from California registers using a fake zipcode, they can't complain that we don't ship raffle prices outside of NC, SC, GA, FL and WVA. Or that all the events are "locally oriented". It's sort of like the security question you get at the airport about having packed your bag yourself and keeping it in sight. That way, if you get caught with a gun/ lighter fluid/ agricultural produce in your luggage, you can't claim "oh, my neighbor must have accidentally put that in there".

But yes, clever people can easily get around the zip code item. More challenging would be to ask a question about BBQ for people to prove their residency! :rolf:

Sully

New User
jay
But yes, clever people can easily get around the zip code item. More challenging would be to ask a question about BBQ for people to prove their residency! :rolf:

And that could get real tricky because only us down east know what real BBQ is. I hear that in the western part of NC they put ketchup on BBQ. Yuck!!!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
My my my
Makes me think of an old Andy Griffith episode where a man chose Mayberry to be his home town.
"He ain't from around here... He's from somewheres else!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors