This is PureBond? My recent experience @ the BORG

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
I went down to the BORG in Spartanburg to pick up some 3/4" PureBond for some shop projects. What I found in the hole was extremely disappointing. I had just begun digging through when the forklift drone showed up with some sheathing to put away. I told him I'd be a while so he should go ahead.

However, before he could get set he lost his flagger to a needy customer. We had a conversation about what I was looking for, as we dug through the last few pieces, each one worse than the last. I was thinking that Columbia must have really let standards slide. Huge voids visable in the edges, visible gaps in the laminations, and none of the edges were stamped. And it was somewhat disheartening when he said, "PureBond? What's that?" I just pointed at the top stock.

After he finally got the sheathing put away he pulled down the top-stock and put it in the hole. When he unwrapped it I could see that it was the real deal. I showed him the edge stamping, and told him that other stuff was obviously not PureBond. I wonder where it even came from, but he insisted that I go check out and leave him to clean up. He probably restocked the crappy stuff right on top of the PureBond. Ah well.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I was under the impression the pure bond at the big box stores was a different quality than what lumber suppliers sell due to box stores demanding a particular price point.

I have not purchased cabinet plywood at HD, onlynLowes and was unimpressed. I may need to go check out HD’s offerings (planning to build painted kitchen cabinets within the next year).

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I haven't purchased plywood from Wurth yet but have found them good to deal with for hardwood. They have a limited stock but their prices are OK and they do not seem to mind at all selling to a non-contractor.

I have purchased purebond plywood, oak face veneer, and found it to be good but not outstanding. For shop projects, while it has gone downhill in quality and the price went up, I still like the pine plywood from Chile. I think it was $35/sheet last time I got some. The face veneer was still good but the back side had quite a few sound knots. I've previously gotten sheets where the back side was also free of knots. I used it in a painted cabinet for my bathroom and it finished up nice. I've most used it in the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS