Thin-panel joinery for rocking horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I have decided to make a toddler's rocking horse, from the plans in Anthony Dew's "The Rocking-Horse Maker." The rockers are 35-1/2 inch, tip to tip, and the rocker seat is about 12 inches off the floor.

The material called for is 3/8-inch birch ply, and I was able to get 30 x 24 inch sheets of BB from the local Woodcraft. I want to put a 6-inch piece in the middle of each panel to make the rockers, to stay with the dimension in the plans, as they are for a very stable rocker, said to be almost impossible to tip over in use, and I don't want to deviate from the specification.

Here is what the plan looks like:
RockHorse2-dscf0778.jpg

I would like suggestions as to the best way/ways to do this; hopefully, it will be practical to do this for this application. This is going to be for grandson Nathan, who will be one year old on the 26th.

Thanks very much,

John

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Thanks, I will probably do some simple lap-joints; that fancy stuff is out of my league :drunken_s

Some kind of stringer re-inforcement sounds good, sounds like that would that be similar to the bracing across the back of a guitar? And I think I would double up along the inside of the curved edges of the rockers with a re-inforcing piece, between the cross pieces, to strengthen and help insure the panels don't flex at the joints.

I will think about some simple methods to conceal the panel joints.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS