Thickness Planers and opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
Hey fellas, I think I'm going to be shopping for a thickness planer soon and I wanted to hear your opinions/recommendations on a smaller (maybe portable) thickness planer. If you've used one that you like, or know of anything I should look out for please let me know.

Thanks

Dave

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
The DW735 is a terrific planner. Based on my experience and what I have heard others say about it, it is at the top of its class.

Donn

RayH

New User
Ray
The DW-735 is a bit pricy, but has been a great workhorse for me. The infeed/outfeed tables are essential (at least for me).:embaresse

Good luck,
Ray

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I have had a Rigid 13" now for several years and it has been used a lot. I've been very pleased with it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I were in the market.

NH2NC

New User
Eric
I have had a Rigid 13" now for several years and it has been used a lot. I've been very pleased with it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I were in the market.

And just to add to that Dave, you can pick up a referb w/ a 1yr warr. at the Factory Direct tool store in Concord Mills Mall. The 4330 runs about $200 and they still get some TP1300's in for about $179.

E-

NH2NC

New User
Eric
It's a little older, but the DW733 was rated really well too. Here's one on Charlotte CL for $150 (Not Mine)
It has the two blade system, but they can be resharpened. I sent an email, but never heard back. Might be worth a try, maybe you'll have better luck than I did.
It looks to be in great shape.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/1654541210.html

DeWalt 12 1/2" Planer - $150 (Fort Mill, SC)

Date: 2010-03-21, 3:40PM EDT
Reply to: sale-ed8fw-1654541210@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

DeWalt 12 1/2" Planer

Great shape with extra blades all manuals included.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3m03p93la5V55W45P5a3lb1ba52f0a7ad1b7d.jpg
3k83m03pb5P75R15S2a3l95323dd049341149.jpg
3n63ma3ld5Ta5Pa5X2a3lb52a1b1ebef715d8.jpg
3kf3md3pa5T75Pe5S6a3lf708eb1d1ae7182b.jpg

Glennbear

Glenn
I own a DW735 and have been highly pleased with it. It has received high marks in several magazines and online tool review sites. :wsmile:

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
It's a little older, but the DW733 was rated really well too. Here's one on Charlotte CL for $150 (Not Mine)
It has the two blade system, but they can be resharpened. I sent an email, but never heard back. Might be worth a try, maybe you'll have better luck than I did.
It looks to be in great shape.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/1654541210.html

DeWalt 12 1/2" Planer - $150 (Fort Mill, SC)

Date: 2010-03-21, 3:40PM EDT
Reply to: sale-ed8fw-1654541210@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

DeWalt 12 1/2" Planer

Great shape with extra blades all manuals included.

I actually contacted this seller today before posting... we'll see how it goes

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I own a DW735 and have been highly pleased with it. It has received high marks in several magazines and online tool review sites. :wsmile:

+10 Got mine of CL for 350 and it was BRAND NEW but not in the box. I like the chip ejection fan on her.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Coolhand; PM me I happen to have a 733 in excellent shape looking for a good home, reasonable.
Jack :gar-Bi

Threejs

New User
David
I like my grizzly lunch box planer. Have had it almost a year, with lots of use, and no problems.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The DW735 is a great little planer, and it works like a charm even on most figured woods.

Here's the downside on this planer:

1) Expensive after buying the i/o tables you are coming in at a price that comes very close to some workhorse 15" planers

2) Portable, it's not. Without the tables it's a hundred pounds. With the tables and stand it's like owning a 15", just nowhere near as dependable.

If you aren't doing highly figured wood, or you want a portable planer to actually be portable, go for the DW733, the Rigid, or any of the others of that ilk and save alot of money and alot of space.

JMTCW

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the DeWalt 734 (3 blade version of the 733 if I am correct). Great planer and no complaints for the price. It weighs in about 80 lbs, which means I can move it back and forth from shelf to bench as needed. It has an 18" deep by 20" wide storage footprint (tables folded up) with the chip chute installed (less depth without it). It also has a head lock. Getting a 1/64" light finish cut is no problem.

Besides the 1/2" width difference, initial and $10 blade change cost, the main difference I have heard between it and the 735 is chip extraction. With the 734, you must have some suction (good shop vac with at least 2 1/2" hose or 4" DC system) to use the chip chute. Otherwise you just blow the chips out the back. The 735 has an on-board blower that will blow the chips out into a garbage can, etc.

Have not used the Ridgid, so cannot comment on it.

Go

DonDeJ

New User
Don
If you can get a stationary one it would last longer, and a good spiral cutter head is the cats meow: smooth, quiet, no more blade adjustments. But this all comes at a cost, in both dollars and space. Portables are great for occasional use, but blade replacement can be an expense. Some blades can't be resharpened, that's something to consider. Good luck in your search.

jhannum

New User
Jeff
I also have a Dewalt 735. I got it cheap as a display model at HD and had some stock feeding issues, but I live close to a Dewalt service center and they fixed it no problem with my receipt. It works great now! I tend to lean towards Dewalt / PC / Delta tools because I live close to the repair center. My Dad lives in PA, he owns lots of Grizzly tools, so maybe its hereditary to plan for the worst.

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
Just got my DeWalt planer from Skymaster (thanks) yesterday... Big thanks to Matt for dropping it off for me, I owe you big time!

Dave

pslamp32

New User
Peter
DW 734 here as well. Almost chip free hooked up to the DC. Got her used for $200 in mint condition. Still runs perfect 2 years later and I haven't even reversed the blades. Very happy...

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Dave: go to dewalt.com, there is a search box at bottom, type in 733 where it asks what u r looking for; it will then send ya to servicenet where you can download the manual for free. It will b a pdf file so i suggest you make a new folder on your desktop and download to it.
Enjoy the planer, it was a gift from my wife so I took good care of it.
Glad it went to a good home :gar-Bi
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors