They're done, finally finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ya'll have bared with me on this project and endured my consistent posting and question asking. So I give you closure, They're done, and I'm happy with the results. And I'll shut up now:eusa_danc They don't look much different then when I photographed them with a MS wipe down, but there is more coats of satin lacquer than I remember ( the fumes got to be fun:drunken_s :lol: ) and a light flocking (yes, I spelled that right) on the interior. So what ya'll think. And I want some honest opinions as to what these boxes would be valued at in your eyes...as a consumer, not someone you could make them yourself. Thanks for reading my ramblins' I really appreciate all that this group has offered in the way of advice and support.:XXcompute :dontknow: :5baby: :notworthy
Heartboxes3017.jpg

Heartboxes3016.jpg

Thanks for looking, Dave:) :)

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow. You obviously have a talent for making boxes. Bandsaw box making is something that still holds a bit of mystery for me... I kind of get it, but I'm sure I'd screw up some step along the way... :roll: Thanks for sharing both the process and the finished project!

Anyway, them boxes will definitely be a HIT!!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

... just don't ship 'em USPS!

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, they look great! I always like the green flocking or lining of any other material with wood. It always seems that the green is compatible with the wood tones.... I have no idea how to price them. I would guess that you have a lot of handwork in them in sanding. Little boxes like that are hard to price. They almost fit in the novelty niche. How about giving us a rundown on time and materials. You keep inhaling those lacquer fumes and you'll become null and void!:p 8-O :lol:

I happened to drive by Klingspor today and my car unexpectedly turned into the parking lot. I happened to notice that then Beall buffs were now up to $16.95 each. Fortunately they last a long time. They also had a brand new bin of "gold" scrap sandpaper by the pound and I filled up a bag or two with assorted grits from 100 through 400. I love that paper and today there were rolls of paper in there 12" wide and up to 4 feet long. You can do a lot with that paper when it comes like that.:idea:

Last edited:

b4man

New User
Barbara
Dave, they are beautiful! I have no idea what they should sell for but I love the style and the workmanship looks wonderful. I can't wait to read other replies.

barbara

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great job Dave, those boxes really turned out nice.:eusa_clap I know the folks that receive them will be very pleased with them. I don't have a clue as to how to price them but would love to hear from someone with some experiencing items like these.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, I figured that I have about $60 in materials. And around 20 hours in the makin' of them. So they should be worth about $140 each. Like I would ever get that:lol: I am thinking of letting them go to my mom, who insists on "buying" them from me for $40 a piece. Thanks to ya'll for your kind comments, you make me feel as I am not the wood-butcher that I normally think I am. As a side note, this is the first project I've made that didn't have a "design feature" included. They came out exactly as planed, no SNAFU.
Insom. you can do boxes like this, it is really easy once you get the steps straight. If you can figure out how to work a Leigh DT jig you can do some bandsaw boxes. Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Dave ,

They look great. As with others, I can't tell you haw to price them, it really depends on your market and customer and obviously mom isn't in either of those. You'll see huge price differences between a craft show and a gallery for the same type of item.

cskipper

Cathy
You did a great job - they're beautiful. I have never figured out how to price these kind of things. As SteveD said, there is such a variation in prices depending on where you are going to sell them, but I don't know how to price for either. Your boxes do inspire me to try to make a box. Good job!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
D L Ames said:
Steve D brings up an interesting point about price differences between a craft fair and a gallery. This could make for an interesting, separate thread to generate some discussion on how best to market some of the these projects that we make. I'll be more than happy to start the thread if anyone thinks it would be a worthwhile topic of discussion.

D L

I think this a great Idea but perhaps not just a thread but a whole discussion area. DL you volunteered:rolf: Put up the first thread at http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Now do I have a volunteer for the moderator:eyeslam:

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Dave I think you have done a great job. They really look good, I know they took time, patience, skill, care and probably a few *****????.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS