The trek begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Friday morning at around 09 hundred the infamous Bas and I will depart for points north. You know that it's cold in Raleigh when two guys have to drive to Pennsylvania to find warmer weather!

The tank's full of diesel, one marginal battery (most diesel trucks have two batteries) was replaced today (two thousand miles before the warranty expired - THAT doesn't happen very often...), and I even washed the truck this afternoon (that was a real joy in sub 40 degree weather...). I'll bet that I was the only guy in New Hill who was washing peacock poop off of his pickup truck today...

Tomorrow morning first thing the big trailer will get hitched up (and Jimmy, I don't want to hear any comments about my having a little deck again...), all of the tires checked, extra straps tossed into the chain box and then we'll be off.

We're headed to 35,000 square feet of wood and metal working showroom heaven!

We'll probably spend at least all of Saturday morning drooling in the showroom, and then in early afternoon start loading up the equipment. I'm estimating at least 2 hours to fully load, strap, and tarp everything on the trailer. Grizzly called me last week to "advise" me re the size of the horizontal resaw crate. Seems that it is 7' tall and only one of their two contract commercial carriers can handle it! I told them "no problem, we have the technology...".

Some of the smaller items can go in the back seat of the truck.

If we're able to depart Muncy by 3 pm, we'll probably get back to the farm around midnight, weather and traffic permitting. I'll probably leave everything on the trailer until Monday for unloading (have a previous commitment Sunday afternoon). Of course, if the Bas-meister invests in any goodies we'll have to see about delivering those ASAP! (Hey Bas, there should be at least 10,000 lbs of excess trailer capacity, so feel free to splurge!)

Much more work remains to be completed in the new workshop before installing the equipment; just on electrical infrastructure there are probably at least 2 - 3 weeks of work. However, all things considered we should be powering up sometime in February. As we get closer to that date, I fully intend to take up the myriad of offers from volunteers to help uncrate, unpack, clean cosmo, etc!

Here's where we're headed:

4-2_lrg.jpg

4-5_lrg.jpg

4-12_lrg.jpg

All in all, it ought to be a GREAT TRIP! Yes, cameras will be taken and we'll be sure to record the event for posterity.

Scott

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
Wish I had a pocket full of money and was going along. I could drop some serious change in that place.

Duane

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
We must have a picture of Bas as he walks in the showroom at Grizzly. Have a safe trip!!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Have a safe trip guys.

Scott, from what I hear you must watch out for Bas' rust alarm. I am sure there will be a lot of drooling and if anyone gets drool on the cast iron you might need ear protection!

Have a great time!

J

jeff...

Have the Griz folks take a picture of you with the bear while Bas "fixes" their computer system :)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Have a safe trip guys.

Scott, from what I hear you must watch out for Bas' rust alarm. I am sure there will be a lot of drooling and if anyone gets drool on the cast iron you might need ear protection!

Have a great time!

I can confirm that, I dripped beer condensate on DaveO's table saw and Bas was very quick to point it out:rotflm::rotflm:.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Scott I would suggest that you put the trailer under cover and get the tarp off quick before anything can rust. We moved our shop back in 1960 and had a little drizzel so we covered things up and parked inside under cover, but didnot uncover anything, the next morning everything had surface rust on it because it didnot get any air circulating around over night.
dick

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Drive safe and see ysa when you guys get back.
Man those pictures are good ones.
If there was a warehouse full of exotic lumber next door, I would diffidently be in heaven.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
What a road trip :icon_thum Drive safe and if you do run into any warmer weather bring it back :gar-La;.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS