The Making of Lee Valley Custom Planes is Finally Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I have become a bit of a fanatic over the quality bench and block planes that Lee Valley Tools makes and sells. Last Fall, I saw the new Veritas Custom Bench Planes as they were revealed to the world for the first time at Woodworking In America in Winston-Salem -- Wow! are they cool. Well now some 7-8 months later, Lee Valley has finally revealed how they are made and how they insure that each user gets a truly "custom" plane. Enjoy this revealing story!

If that is not enough to convince you of the incredible creativity of our friends from Canada, please check out any of these inspiring stories.

By the way, I own 9 Veritas planes -- drool, slurp! Nanny-nanny Po-Po!

Rob

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am not sure I want to see it, but since Rob owns 9 Veritas planes he must have had the "full body scan!" :rotflm:

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Always the highlight of every April.

That had to be an enormous amount of work to put together! All the forms, computer animations, conveyor system, etc. Wow. That was even more work than their usual 'custom' tool offering!

One interesting takeaway that is both viable and valuable: All those prototype handles show how many they actually tested before they came up with the product selections. Possibly 3D printed given their colored material.

K

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What a hoot! Those products are quality design, engineering, and production. They're only limited by the faults of the owner. :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS