The Hardwood Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlrion

New User
Dan
I took a run up to the Hardwood Store yesterday. Earl said they treated him like a king the last time he went on a wood run, and so I had to see if this was true.

I bought a couple hundred dollars worth of wood, they were VERY helpful! Great prices, and when I pulled out my NCWoodworkers member card, they gave me the price that is reserved for those who buy more than 100 feet of a particular wood -- Pretty good discount!

They had just about everything that I needed except for turning blanks... and you can't really blame them for this, they are a lumber supplier not a hobby store. Next time anybody from Goldsboro goes up there though, take a pound of McCalls Barbecue to Wayne. I bet the reward will be handsome!

He even threw in a short stick of Sapele for free when I asked him about it.

The drive is worth the service!

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Glad you got to go, they are great to deal with. I get treated the same no matter if I am picking through stacks or cruising the shorts bin.

BSHuff

New User
Brian
only problem I have with the Hardwood Store of NC.. is that they are too far away!

Guess that is a good thing too cause every time I go there I come home missing over $100 from my bank account!

DWSmith

New User
David
The listed prices on the web site are extremely high. Currently I am paying $3.35 per bd ft for 8/4 hard maple, $4.05 per bd ft of cherry and $5.35 per bd ft for walnut. And that is the price, not dependant on the amount purchased.

dlrion

New User
Dan
David - Where are you getting yours? That is a real good price!

Earl - Sorry, I took the Prius... I didn't have much room for a passenger once the car was packed with wood... but I paid $30 or $40 less in gas!

Bob - Plan on a visit sometime soon! I would love to see your workshop!

BSHuff

New User
Brian
The listed prices on the web site are extremely high. Currently I am paying $3.35 per bd ft for 8/4 hard maple, $4.05 per bd ft of cherry and $5.35 per bd ft for walnut. And that is the price, not dependant on the amount purchased.

I have always been quite happy with the value of the wood I get from them, almost 90% yield is possible out of what they have on most of the piles. I have bought wood cheaper by the BF, but once straight-lined/planning around knots & defects/etc I end up loosing a lot of the wood to waste. So the price might look higher but I think the quality of the wood makes up for it. They will also freqently refresh the wood on the stacks. They don't let the bins go 'dry' when they have 10 more bundles in theh back to sell off the castoff wood from the sortings. So every time I go look I find a really nice stick in the stack.:cry_smile

DWSmith

New User
David
The Hardwood store buys from the commercial suppliers and then resells at a much higher retail price. Like Wall Lumber, Woodcraft and other retail outlets. I buy 200 bd ft at a time and can't stand the retail price. The stock my supplier has is the same quality, just a lower price. TCI Supply in Thomasville. Good folks! Good prices!

No bins, just buy off the bundle.

dlrion

New User
Dan
Sorry Earl... :dontknow:

But last time you went... you didn't call me either!

I propose a truce... Next time either of us goes, we will call/ PM the other first!

:icon_cheers

jhreed

New User
james
Dan & Earl, I could have bankrupted us all, we could have gone in my Tahoe. After buying gas, we would not have worried about having money for wood, we would have spent it all on gasoline, $3.08/gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS