The Hardwood Store of NC Status

JohnW

New User
John
Been trying to call them for several days but their phone is dead. Anyone know what's up?

JohnW

New User
John
Tks Henry, I just tried again and still dead for me. I can call other numbers and my cell is working but, I'm using T-Mobile and heard a report that they have been hacked. May be some kind on issue with that.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
First of all I apologize and don't mean to hijack the thread. However, I don't know if it's worth the trip to THS if you have some other place to buy from.
THS advertises on our site and I'm certain they do a lot of business with our members. I've bought a considerable amount of lumber from them over the years and I'm certain that collectively our members have given them a lot of business. As an NCWW member, the discount I've been getting is 10 cents a bf. The lumber for the most part is good and most of the employees are quite helpful. However, for the amount of business we give them, I think our discount should be a lot better than 10 cents a bf.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
First of all I apologize and don't mean to hijack the thread. However, I don't know if it's worth the trip to THS if you have some other place to buy from.
THS advertises on our site and I'm certain they do a lot of business with our members. I've bought a considerable amount of lumber from them over the years and I'm certain that collectively our members have given them a lot of business. As an NCWW member, the discount I've been getting is 10 cents a bf. The lumber for the most part is good and most of the employees are quite helpful. However, for the amount of business we give them, I think our discount should be a lot better than 10 cents a bf.
And sometimes you have to buy from the vendor that has the material - and this does make my trip out to THS worthwhile at times, discounts notwithstanding. I place a lot of value in the things you mention: quality, availability, helpful service, and less about price (though I'm certainly not immune to price pressures).

JohnW

New User
John
I hear you Frank but in my case I live in Charlotte and have had zero success in finding a good source for cabinet quality plywood locally. If I were a business, sourcing in Charlotte would be easy. But as a "civilian" buying locally from sources that cater to larger clients is horrible. Wurth, A&M Supply are the two I've used but they make it clear that my business in not welcome. THS has always treated my well and their quality is typically better than most other places. The pricing is competitive and sourcing is more important than price as long as they are in the ball park. You are not hijacking the thread. I appreciate your input and am always open to new wood/plywood sources.

If anyone has had success finding quality plywood in Charlotte, please let me know.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I hear you Frank but.... THS has always treated my well and their quality is typically better than most other places. The pricing is competitive and sourcing is more important than price as long as they are in the ball park. ...
Yes - my point exactly. Sometimes it is about the vendor and what they can supply, not about exact price. In fact I have purchased extra materials at THS because their price was considerably better (4/4 maple) than I had seen at vendors closer to me (without any THS discount).

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
My experience with THS has been quite good. While it was an easy trip when I lived in Durham, it is not so easy from Anderson, SC. HOWEVER, I have tried sourcing closer to my home, and found that sometimes it is still worth the long drive to THS from a quality standpoint. The drive negates price differences of course. But, it should tell you that they are still a go to source.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Di
Did not know we get a discount. I'll remember that next time.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I was just at THS yesterday - as busy as usual.
For those in Charlotte, didnt West Penn Hardwoods just open a walk-in store in Conover? I've never bought from them so dont know their prices. They seem to have a fair bit of variety.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The Hardwood Store is 61 miles from my house. I am always treated well. I enjoy browsing around. We did leave empty handed the last time because they were out of the plywood we wanted. We will call first next time.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
West Penn has been open for a several years now. Great selection of turning wood, slabs and dimensional and thin stock lumber. It's an experience to visit.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I understand and do agree that THS has excellent lumber and I have had excellent experiences with their employees when buying there.
The only reason for the original post is that I'm sure they get a lot of business from our members and think they should take that into consideration. when we buy there. Ten cents a bf discount doesn't seem to me to indicate their thanks for the overall business NCWW members give them.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member

Not sure I agree with your logic. They pay to advertise here and give members a discount. Win win situation for our site. If you want a bigger discount, perhaps negotiate directly with them instead of advising members not to shop there because you’re not happy with their discount policy. ‍

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
Not sure I agree with your logic. They pay to advertise here and give members a discount. Win win situation for our site. If you want a bigger discount, perhaps negotiate directly with them instead of advising members not to shop there because you’re not happy with their discount policy. ‍

Gonzalo

If you reread my posting you will see I NEVER advised members not to shop there. I stated that I thought the discount policy of 10 cents a bf was not sufficient for the amount of business our members give them. Please don't take my words and twist them so as to make you look good.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member

Gonzalo

If you reread my posting you will see I NEVER advised members not to shop there. I stated that I thought the discount policy of 10 cents a bf was not sufficient for the amount of business our members give them. Please don't take my words and twist them so as to make you look good.

Sorry, not trying to twist your words. here is what you said - “However, I don't know if it's worth the trip to THS if you have some other place to buy from.”
Then you talked about the insufficient discount. That sounds like you are saying not to shop there.

if I misinterpreted that, apologies. But again, they support our site, have excellent customer service, and good quality lumber. Discount or no discount.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I hear you Frank but in my case I live in Charlotte and have had zero success in finding a good source for cabinet quality plywood locally. If I were a business, sourcing in Charlotte would be easy. But as a "civilian" buying locally from sources that cater to larger clients is horrible. Wurth, A&M Supply are the two I've used but they make it clear that my business in not welcome. THS has always treated my well and their quality is typically better than most other places. The pricing is competitive and sourcing is more important than price as long as they are in the ball park. You are not hijacking the thread. I appreciate your input and am always open to new wood/plywood sources.

If anyone has had success finding quality plywood in Charlotte, please let me know.
Have you tried Dixie Plywood? Klutz in Concord?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors