The G0514X2B is here. (1/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Went and picked up the new bandsaw from UPS freight this morning. Going out to un-crate and move it into the shop in just a couple of minutes.

:eusa_danc :banana:

Grizzly_G0514X2B_002.JPG

View image in gallery

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Re: The G0514X2B is here!

Sweet DOOD!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Brian.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Mark, you obviously haven't understood the need to space out the purchasing of your tools. It is important that you fully immerse yourself in one tool for several months to get complete enjoyment out of it before "distracting" yourself with another cosmoline-covered gizmo. So, I graciously offer my shop for you to stash either the new G0514X2b or the G0623X until spring. Your choice. :rolf:

What can I say, nice score! :tool:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Mark, you obviously haven't understood the need to space out the purchasing of your tools. It is important that you fully immerse yourself in one tool for several months to get complete enjoyment out of it before "distracting" yourself with another cosmoline-covered gizmo. So, I graciously offer my shop for you to stash either the new G0514X2b or the G0623X until spring. Your choice. :rolf:

What can I say, nice score! :tool:

How many is several? I got the TS on July 15th. That's like 3 MONTHS ago! Well, almost.

Seriously though, you have to strike while the iron is hot. LOML finally got tired of hearing me complain about resawing on the old saw and said "Just get the new one." What could I do? She told me to get it.

BTW, thanks for your extremely generous offer.

MtnWing

New User
Dennis

Wow, that gets my pulse rate up just seeing it in the truck. I know it's going to be a beaut in the shop. Congrats.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Wow, that gets my pulse rate up just seeing it in the truck. I know it's going to be a beaut in the shop. Congrats.

Thanks Dennis. Looking forward to getting it set up so I can test it out. The Woodmaster CT blade should get here on Wednesday.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

I took the crate apart with the saw still on in the truck, then LOML and I got the beast wrangled into the shop. I moved it into the position that I had planned, but it is going to take up more room than I had thought. I'm going to have to get a mobile base for it so it can be moved out of the way if I need to make long cross cuts on the table saw. It will probably be stationary 90% of the time.

These are the boxes and bags that in the crate.

The box on the right has the resaw fence assembly.

The box on the left is the cast iron table. 26-3/4" x 19" and 1-1/2" thick. Very heavy. This will be quite a step up form the 2" x 12" table on my 14" BS.

Hope to start getting it assembled tomorrow.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Congratulations, Mark!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

That is one fine looking bandsaw. Should keep you out of trouble for a little while anyway!:wsmile:

Now, about that riding mower and the grass that is still growing out there.:elvis: It may have to wait for another week or so and brighter days (on the outside)! Sounds to me that your priorities may have shifted a little bit for the rest of this week!:rolf:

Have fun with the cosmoline and we await a review.

Wayne

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Congratulations, Mark!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

That is one fine looking bandsaw. Should keep you out of trouble for a little while anyway!:wsmile:

Now, about that riding mower and the grass that is still growing out there.:elvis: It may have to wait for another week or so and brighter days (on the outside)! Sounds to me that your priorities may have shifted a little bit for the rest of this week!:rolf:

Have fun with the cosmoline and we await a review.

Wayne

It's raining. Can't mow in the rain.:wwink:

eyekode

New User
Salem

I recently moved an 18" bandsaw into my "shop". I got it into position by using a long dowel. Just tip the saw and roll the dowel under the saw. Then roll the bandsaw on the dowel. When you run out of dowel tip the dawn back and move the dowel to the front and take another roll :). I think this will be mobile enough for me until I get around to making a mobile base.
Salem

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

I recently moved an 18" bandsaw into my "shop". I got it into position by using a long dowel. Just tip the saw and roll the dowel under the saw. Then roll the bandsaw on the dowel. When you run out of dowel tip the dawn back and move the dowel to the front and take another roll :). I think this will be mobile enough for me until I get around to making a mobile base.
Salem

Pretty clever, Salem. :icon_thum

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Haven't gotten nearly as far as I wanted on setting up this saw. The table is installed and the table tilt assembly is hooked up. Also got the positive stop set for setting the table back to 90 degrees to the blade. That's about it. Too much other stuff taking up my time over the last few days.

I just want to cut something!!! :gar-La;

buildintechie

New User
Jeff

Lookin good! Its in a different place than it was yesterday.

You should show everybody the cutouts on that top wheel.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

As you wish.

Grizzly starting to show a little style in their products?

I don't know, looks kinda like a bunch of Pigs to me... :rotflm:

Must be some of those fearsome Grizzly Wood Hogs!

Congratulations on your new toy! So what are the specs? I've certainly enjoyed my 18" Rikon bandsaw since I purchased it 4 years ago.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

I have a wild black cherry tree that fell out back - can I bring it over to have it sawed :gar-La;

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

I don't know, looks kinda like a bunch of Pigs to me... :rotflm:

Must be some of those fearsome Grizzly Wood Hogs!

Congratulations on your new toy! So what are the specs? I've certainly enjoyed my 18" Rikon bandsaw since I purchased it 4 years ago.

From Grizzly.com:

Description
We took our rock solid G0514X 19" Heavy-duty Extreme Series® Bandsaw, added a few more features and came up with this ultimate 19" Bandsaw. Features a cast iron table trunnion, rack and pinion table tilt control with extra table support and an innovative resaw fence. Why not spend a little more for the best 19" Bandsaw on the market?

SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Blade tension indicator
  • Micro adjusting geared table tilting mechanism
  • Height scale measurement
  • Fence with scale and magnifying window
  • Deluxe cast iron fence with extruded aluminum re-saw fence
  • Miter gauge
  • 4" dust port x 2
  • Table tilt 5° left, 45° right
  • Quick change blade release/tensioning
  • Rack and pinion upper guide adjustment
  • Rack and pinion table tilt mechanism
  • Motor brake
  • Cast iron trunnion
  • Includes 3/4" blade
FEATURES:
  • Motor: 3 HP, 220V, single-phase, or 3 HP, 220V/440V*, 3-phase, TEFC, 60 Hz
  • RPM: 1725
  • Precision ground cast iron table
  • Table size: 26-3/4" x 19" x 1-1/2" thick
  • Floor to table height: 37-1/2"
  • Cutting capacity/throat: 18-1/4"
  • Maximum cutting height: 12"
  • Blade size: 143" long
  • Blade sizes available: 1/8" - 1-1/4"
  • 2 Blade speeds: 1700, 3500 FPM
  • Wheels: fully balanced cast iron with polyurethane tires
  • Wheel covers: pre-formed, hinged steel
  • Blade guides: dual ball bearing with full enclosure protection
  • Bearings: sealed and permanently lubricated
  • Overall size: 76" H x 36" W x 32" D
  • Approximate shipping weight: 512 lbs.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Got it all put together.

Very heavy duty cast iron fence, with an aluminum re-saw fence. The re-saw fence can be tall or short. The fence scale is designed to work with the cast iron fence alone, there is no offset or adjustment to use the scale when the re saw fence is attached. I'll have to see if I can rig something up. Guess I'll have to use a steel rule for now.

The fence is adjustable for blade drift. Just loosen 2 knobs and pivot the mounting bar.

A couple of things that make setting the blade guides a little difficult. The cap screw that needs to be loosened to adjust the lower back blade guide requires some fancy finger contortions.

The lower support bearing (behind the blade) has an adjustment wheel, which is nice, but the cap screw that locks it in place is under the table trunnion. You can reach it with the long allen wrench supplied, but then you only have the short leg of the allen wrench to tighten or loosen the cap screw.

Both the upper and lower support bearings are blocked by blade guards so getting them set the proper distance from the back of the blade is difficult. The manual suggests using a folded dollar bill to get the correct distance, but you can't get the dollar bill in there. I removed the upper blade guard (only 2 cap screws) to make the adjustment to the upper support bearing. I just guesstimated for the lower support bearing.

The machine runs beautifully. Very little vibration, and quiet. The motor brake stops the blade in about 2-3 seconds.

The blade tension is very easy to set and adjust. The quick tension release works flawlessly. It has a long arm that makes it easy to remove tension from the blade.

Changing blades is about what you would expect with a bandsaw. Lots of pieces and parts to maneuver the blade around.

Tracking the blade is very easy. The tracking knob is a pretty standard star knob. The nut that locks the tracking knob in place has a good sized plastic handle on it, so no tools are necessary for that operation.

On the subject of tools, Grizzly provides 2 allen wrenches(8mm & 5mm) and one combination wrench (10mm x 13mm).There are at least four different sizes of allen head cap screws on the machine. If you get this machine, get yourself a set of metric allen wrenches. Preferably a long, t-handled set.

I've only made one test cut with the saw so far, using the supplied 3/4", 6tpi, carbon steel blade. It cut fine through 3" thick red oak, but I wasn't expecting much from that blade. I will be putting in the Woodmaster CT blade this afternoon or tomorrow. I've got some 6"-8" thick red oak and maple to re-saw. That should give this saw a good test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors