The Fine Art of Slowing Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
All of them ring a bell, but I don't think there is anything as bad as glue ups. At least for generating stress/screw ups.

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
Me... goes both ways. :rotflm:

Currently I'm working on a scroll saw project, my first, and it has tiny little words and tiny little ants (yes ants) in the design and those of you who do scroll saw work know that it's delicate and tedious work that can't be rushed if you are a rank beginner like me. (how do those folks in the you-tube vids go so fast???!!!)
So when I'm working on it I have to keep telling myself to slow down because rushing the cut is an easy way to blow out those lines... but once I set the work aside it takes a good long while before it gets picked up again.
Been working on it for three days now, but those you-tube guys would have it finished in about two or three minutes! :cool:

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
A+ Guilty as charged! Speed has ALWAYS been my problem.

I remember my Mom telling me as a kid when I sat to build a plastic model car, or a "house" in the middle of the living room floor from Tinker Toys, it was always the same: "Slow down Bobby! Take your time!" she'd command. I never took it to heart because I was too impatient wanting to see it completed. Now at 59, I constantly remind my self to "slow down, Bobby." And it seems that when I do, I have a greater appreciation for the project when I'm finished.

It's sad it took me most my life to learn this valuable lesson!

happy WWing,
"Bobby"

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
All of them ring a bell, but I don't think there is anything as bad as glue ups. At least for generating stress/screw ups.
It's a shame you didn't see Bobby G's panel glue up demo at last Triangle Woodworkers meeting. He spent more time on dry fit, than I ever do on real thing. And it shows!

cskipper

Cathy
Guilty on the finishing part.

Ken, don't let the you tube folks worry you. You have to scroll at whatever speed you are comfortable using, and this may vary while cutting one piece and may between two different projects. When every little "wobble" shows you have to watch. I've been scrolling for years and I have only really started speeding up on a few projects (not fretwork). One exception is scrolling
straight lines - I find it easier to stay straight if I cut faster on these.

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
Thanks for the words of support Cathy.
The learning curve shouldn't be super bad because of other woodworking that I've done... still, it's a little troublesome trying to get into a good smooth flow where I'm not going to fast or too slow.
And that's why I fall into both of the topic categories. lol

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Also guilty as charged.

Ken I agree with Cathy. Quality is more important then speed when scrolling. Speed and quality comes with tons of practice.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
As I get older my grandmother's words, 'the hurrier I go, the behinder I get' keep popping into my head.
I heard it often but for too much of my life had no clue what she was saying.
No matter how fast you do a job, when you have to redo it, you have saved NO time at all...

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Slowing down seldom benefits me. Every project has as number of mistakes to be made, and I prefer to get them out of the way early. :BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS