The D&S Scary Sharp(TM) System

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I just wanted to post this, I tried it a while back, with some ok results. I have read alot of posts that some have gotten amazing results though. Anyway I thought you guys may enjoy it. If nothing else, it's a good read... I still giggle like a little boy when I read this.

http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM

-clay

Monty

New User
Monty
I agree - I love that article. Can't read it right now, as I am at work and people would start to wonder...

:drunken_s

DavidF

New User
David
Just my four pen'th as we would say, but I use water stones up 4000 for the most part and then use 2000 grit silicon carbide for the final polish. Once I put a polish on the back of the blade many moons ago, it never touches anything but the 2000 G. A tip...Spray the glass plate with a mist of water and stick the paper down through suction - a lot less messy than glue and you can change the paper easier if it tears or you want to change the grit size.

David

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I normally go up to 8000 waterstone and then sometimes green compound on leather or mdf. I usually freehand chisels and jig plane blades.

Admittedly, 8000 is probably a bit of overkill for my uses. If I stop mid task to touch up it will usually be on a 4000 stone and back to it. If I am having a sharpening session though, I will go all the way up.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
DavidF said:
Just my four pen'th as we would say, but I use water stones up 4000 for the most part and then use 2000 grit silicon carbide for the final polish. Once I put a polish on the back of the blade many moons ago, it never touches anything but the 2000 G. A tip...Spray the glass plate with a mist of water and stick the paper down through suction - a lot less messy than glue and you can change the paper easier if it tears or you want to change the grit size.

David
OK, this is going to show my stupidity even more than the tapering jig question.
:oops:
Why go up to 4000 then back to 2000 for polishing? What am I missing?

DavidF

New User
David
Only that the grit size is scaled differently on the stones than on the silicon carbide. Unfortunately there are no standards amongst the various mediums for grit size. The 2000 paper is often seen as "mirror fine" in car body shops. You will see that after the 4000 stone the bevel is still dull, after the 2000 paper the bevel is like a mirror. Diamond stones have a different scale again and are not immediately comparable to water stones. I seen a comparison chart somewhere.

David

DavidF

New User
David
Hunting around the web a bit, 8000 water stone is roughly equiv to 2200g silicon carbide. My 4000 stone is about 1000g paper. When I can afford an 8000 stone I will probably get one, but in the mean time the paper works fine.

David

R

rickc

Sandpaper source

Where do ybou go to get these high grit sandpapers that are used for sharpening?

sapwood

New User
Roger
Re: Sandpaper source

rcorne01 said:
Where do ybou go to get these high grit sandpapers that are used for sharpening?

Though I'm sure there are other sources, auto parts stores usually carry high grit sandpaper. I think they use them for metal finishing.

Sapwood

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Yes, I get anything over 800 or so from auto parts stores...normally you will find it in a pre-cut pack, the black wet/dry 1000, 1500, 2000.

These really fine papers are used to "water sand" paint jobs, working up through the grits until you finish with buffing compound/polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS