The cost of glass....

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PrplHrtJarHead

OK, now don't get me wrong, I picked the project knowing full well there was a lot of glass in it, but dang....

Cost of stock about $120
Plywood and MDF $70
Hardware and lights $80.00
Total $270.00

Glass and mirrors $294.00.....now I know why people don't throw stones at glass houses....never worked a project that needed glass before, I will probably keep those to a minimum in the future.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Shop around, you will see some big differences in pricing. You can also look at getting the glass in a standard size and cut it yourself. It really isn't very hard to do and I can walk you through it if you go that way. I was a commercial glazier through high school and college.You don't want to try and fool with too big of a sheet but many shops order boxed glass in several different sizes.

I just cut a new top for a table my wife bought. It was a square with the corners mitered. Price for them to cut and sand $125.00, price for the piece of glass that I cut and sanded $32.00

P

PrplHrtJarHead

Steve D said:
Shop around, you will see some big differences in pricing. You can also look at getting the glass in a standard size and cut it yourself. It really isn't very hard to do and I can walk you through it if you go that way. I was a commercial glazier through high school and college.You don't want to try and fool with too big of a sheet but many shops order boxed glass in several different sizes.

I just cut a new top for a table my wife bought. It was a square with the corners mitered. Price for them to cut and sand $125.00, price for the piece of glass that I cut and sanded $32.00

I did shop around here locally. &^%$ it for not talking to the club here first. I have already pruchased the glass too. Umm, next time around, I will take you up on that offer of teaching me how to cut/polish my own glass.

Thanks for the insight.

M

McRabbet

Whoa! That's a serious cost! :oops: I've wanted to make this for our LR as well, but this may put me off track. A few questions -- 1st, which issue of Wood was this plan in (I have more than 10 years of back issues), and 2nd, did you try to get several quotes for the glass? I recently had three custom shelves cut with pencil edges that were roughly 2 feet square each (over 12 sq ft total) and they cost about $45.

P

PrplHrtJarHead

McRabbet said:
Whoa! That's a serious cost! :oops: I've wanted to make this for our LR as well, but this may put me off track. A few questions -- 1st, which issue of Wood was this plan in (I have more than 10 years of back issues), and 2nd, did you try to get several quotes for the glass? I recently had three custom shelves cut with pencil edges that were roughly 2 feet square each (over 12 sq ft total) and they cost about $45.

1st, issue 150 Sep 2003.

2d, I called and visited two shops locally, sometimes the prices vary from phone vs. face-to-face. :?: Plus called a third in Wilmington. All prices were pretty close. The one I purchased from wasn't the outright cheapest, but in terms of gas spent, it works out. :eusa_thin

As you look at that plan, you'll see a noticeable lack of wood and a serious presence of mirror back and glass (side lights, well as the fairly significant amount on the door). The shelves, I opted for 1/4" tempered because of the weight of the items to be displayed by my bride, so I know that is gonna cost me (roughly 1/2 the cost is the shelves). Even still, I just had no idea, what glass costs if you don't have the skills/experience/tools to cut it yourself.

Oh well, I don't really mind spending the money because it is something we will have until my kids plant me. :-? But it's a great learning point, research the cost of everything BEFORE beginning. Duh! :BangHead: I had actually estimated about $150. 8-O

I'm sure too, if you live somewhere near Raleigh or Charlotte or one of the bigger cities with more volume, the cost is probably cheaper. Jacksonville isn't exactly a high volume town for custom glass work.

P

PrplHrtJarHead

I wonder what Phil dropped for this glass? And if he did any of the cutting himself?

You are looking at roughly 3 times the glass, not counting the shelves or mirrored back, as his cabinet here for that curio.

Phil, if you don't mind, what did the glass run you for your last '05 project?

cskipper

Cathy
Steve, I'd also like to learn how to cut and sand.... glass. Maybe you'll have a class for us???

P

PrplHrtJarHead

cskipper said:
Steve, I'd also like to learn how to cut and sand.... glass. Maybe you'll have a class for us???

Yeah, that could definitely be a beneficial skill for many us. Especially when getting instruction from a professional glazier.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS