The biggest router I've ever seen.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Got this router today from the cabinet guys we work with, who are moving a d cleaning out their old building. I haven't weighed it, bit a swear it weighs 50 lbs. The base is cast iron with 3 big wooden handles. 220 volt and hand held!

Bic lighter for reference.

IMG_20200925_181551.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That used to be a standard fixture in door and millwork shops in the 60s and 70s. Around here they were called VisaDoor door routers. A door was laid on the bench, a template clamped down and the router was lowered from a counterbalanced cable. The router just swung in the air most of the time. It would punch through a solid core 1-3/4" door and rout out a hole for either for a grille or a light. Lots of people would try to rig them as router tables but they were just too big and awkward. I've had a few back in the day and yes, they were very heavy but that weight helped smooth out the door cutout operation.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
^what he said. That was made way back....when men were men and women were women. Today? Well, let's just say that today's routers are much smaller.....

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS