The 16" combo jointer/planer is operational!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I've been slowly completing the installation of the equipment that the NCWoodworkers helped to uncrate and assemble last month.

Last Monday the table saw was assembled and made operational, and I'm pleased with the results.

Today I worked on the G0660X 16" Grizzly combination jointer/planer. I knew that this unit was made in Germany, but tonight I found out that it is a Sheppach IXES machine that was made for Grizzly. There is a lot of confusion regarding the HP; the name plate lists it at 3hp, the Grizzly catalog listed it at 5.5 HP (which had me concerned considering that it's a 16" model), and according to the manual that came with it it's 4.8 HP. I think that the cutterhead is probably 4.8, and the planer feed motor is 3/4 hp, for a total of 5.5. Whatever it is, it's adequate to do the job.

The overall fit and finish is outstanding. The jointer bed adjustment is the parallelogram style, and both the jointer and planer beds have an unusual machining style... with tiny "ribs" machined into them to help keep the boards from twisting when going across the cutter head.

It doesn't take long to switch between jointer and planer; the most time is spent in adjusting the planer bed up and down (it has to be positioned at maximum opening in order to switch between the two functions). It's around 3 - 4 minutes to switch each way.

The machine runs very smoothly (will balance a nickel on its side while running), and leaves a remarkable finish on the boards (I used a 5/4 oak board for my tests). Snipe is NONEXISTANT :icon_thum, and there are no noticeable ripples in the finish. My 14" wide test board measured within .001 from side to side; which is better than my old 20" dedicated planer.

Apparently Grizzly has decided to discontinue the machine, which is a shame considering its quality.

On the downside, the knives for the Leitz cutterhead are expensive, at $150.00 a set! (ouch). At least they can be flipped once... Unfortunately, the first board that I ran though it had a small rock embedded that I missed, so I nicked a blade from the git-go...:BangHead:

Overall a good acquisition and I'd recommend it to anyone.

No pix tonight; I'll try to take some tomorrow and update the thread.

Scott

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Congrats Scott on your set acquisition and set up.
Doesn't it always happen to the NEW Blades.?

It never fails with me either. I install a new blade in a machine, and then hit something with it at the getgo.

bwat

New User
Bill
Yep, first or second board with new blades most every time. :gar-Cr I thought the new blade "dings" only happened to me!

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Scott, I am glad to hear that you are satisfied with the quality and performance of your new tools. I wonder why they are discontinuing the product? Maybe it is a profit margin concern since they are a German manufactured machine. Oh, and the offer still stands if you find yourself in need of some help during the week. Take care.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Scott;

Sounds like you are really making some great progress with the new shop. The new Jointer/Planner sounds like a great addition. As for blade replacement, take a look at "Dispoze-A-Blade" at: http://www.estausa.com
I have a 16" Felder J/P and the blades are basically the same as the Esta blades- in fact they are interchangeable. If the Lietz blades are seated in a magnetic carrier there is a possibility that they may be interchangeable with the Esta- both made in Germany. The first Felder J/P I had was a 12" and I converted it from standard blades to the Esta system. This made changing blades a job that took minutes instead of an hour. That was over 15 years ago before Felder was using the reversable, disposable blades. Now, this system is the standard for Felder. Esta-USA makes blade kits to convert just about any cutterhead.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dino, thanks for your response and advice. The Leitz cutterhead on my machine has some type of non-adjustable knife. The cutterhead profile looks like this:

There is a dimple on the back side of the knife that fits into a groove on the cutterhead. This is all new to me, and I'm trying to learn more about it. I've heard of Lietz "Wigo" style knives, but when I visit the Leitz website it isn't very clear as to what is what.

On the positive side is that knive replacement should be very straightforward and easy, since they don't need to be adjusted. I'm not sure if these knives are resharpenable or not though.

thesource

New User
Rick
Scott,
From the drawing you posted, those knives look a lot like Tersa, or Terminus. Check those out. Both brands just sort of snap in and are held by centrifugal force. We use both brands of moulder heads.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
<snip>
The overall fit and finish is outstanding. The jointer bed adjustment is the parallelogram style, and both the jointer and planer beds have an unusual machining style... with tiny "ribs" machined into them to help keep the boards from twisting when going across the cutter head.
<snip>
Far from an expert, but if I've pictured the machining properly, those ribs are supposed to reduce friction/suckage between the bed and workpiece.

Like the grooves in a corrugated handplane.

My Robland (Euro machine) has them on the planer bed, but no the jointer beds.

-Mark

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rick, thanks for the info - I'll check those out.

Mark - good point; you're probably right about reducing friction.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS