Thanks Clay (and Kyle!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I have been working on turning some pens lately and Clay has been an EXCELLENT help in the finishing! He has taken a lot of time to respond to my many questions about applying a CA finish. Well, I think I've finally gotten the hang of it, although it still takes me a while to get there :) Anyway, Clay's help was invaluable and I greatly appreciate the time that he spent helping me!

I had the opportunity to meet Kyle last week. I actually went out to his sawmill to see what it was like and meet Kyle, but I was really hoping that Clay would happen by since he was in that part of the state :) Anyway, Kyle was extremely nice and has some absolutely gorgeous wood. He took a great deal of time away from his work to show me around and help me to pick out some wood. Oh...and his prices can't be beat! :) I will definately go back and hope that he becomes my primary source for wood from now on. It took me a little less than an hour to get there from Harrisburg (Near Lowe's Motor Speedway). With the closest Woodcraft/Klingspor, etc 1/2 hour drive, it is well worth it to take the trip out there!

Anyway...this is my latest. The blank came from Kyle and the finishing technique came with help from Clay :) The blank is Maple burl and was originally fairly light, as you would expect from maple. This is a present for my brother in-law, so I wanted to darken it up to make it more "manly".:lol: I used a combination of an amber dye and burnt amber glaze to highlight the grain and darken the wood. Then I finished it with CA....

Cheers!
Chris

Maple_Burl_Pen_008reduced.jpg

Maple_Burl_Pen_006reduced.jpg

M

McRabbet

Gorgeous pen for one of your early efforts -- You rock, Bob V.!

BTW - Nice thank yous to Clay and Kyle!

Rob

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Looking good! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum Looks like you got the hang of it. Nice pens, real nice! I need to get some stock from kyles....

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great looking pens, and beautiful wood.
A few weeks ago while I was visiting in Wilmington, I stopped in at Kids Making It, as I normally do. The volunteer staffing the shop was working on the lathe in her spare time. She showed me some pens that she turned, and told me that she learned how to turn them in a class that was given there. I asked if it was the one that Clay taught, and she said it was, and that she thought it was excellent an excellent class.

Clay is like a pen turning virus....we may have name a new disease after him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
A very sharp pen! If I ever get back to the shop I am going to work on learning the CA finish. I have lots of pen half's with no mates to practice on. Got to get busy! Nice job and glad Clay and Kyle were able to help out.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Awesome looking pen Chris.:icon_thum I love the wood you chose for it and your finish is superb.

D L

J

jeff...

You have to admitt we have a great group of folks on this site. Great looking pen and great folks helping you!

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Definately...without Clay's help, I would have tried and given up on the CA finish. Although I don't like not feeling the wood, I think it gives a great shiny 'professional' finish that will stand up to the constand handling. I feel more confident that the recipient(s) will enjoy the pen for a much longer time.

Thanks for all of the kudos...it is fun to see what grain will pop out as you whittle the wood down from a square :) I have probably made about a dozen pens now, half of which were done with a friction polish. I finished the rest with CA and actually went back to a few pens that I could dismantle and refinished those :) (The Wall Street II or Sierra? pens can be taken apart without ruining the pen.)

Chris

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
good infor on the pens with what you can take apart, coming from someone that has never turned a pen what would you suggest? A kit or buy pieces? I think im going to make a couple when I get back. thanks for the info friend,, be blessed

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Now show us a Corn Cobb pen ;)

:lol: Here ya go...oh..and while we are recognizing those who have helped me.. thanks for the starter kit, John!

I really like that pine cone pen...will have to try that one!

Michael, I have not seen pen parts just for sale...only kits. The pen below is one that I had made and finished with a friction polish. After it was all together, I took it apart and refinished it with CA..hth!

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=5717&size=big&cat=&ppuser=247
Pens_010.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS