• Do not Care:

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
There has been 2 to ask if this added to the post count.. :eek: This is a good question to ask and one we need to answer.. At this time it will add to your post count.I have set up a poll for the staff to answer this question.

So please vote.. :cool:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I have been thinking about this.

Uncharacteristically, I feel strongly about this one.

Post counts reflect a persons posts. The time and effort to comment, IMHO, is not the same as pressing the Thanks button.

We don't give post credits for Views.

Also, it'd be a quick way to bypass our 5 post rule in the Classifieds.

Not knocking the Thanks button in any way, just don't think they should count towards post counts.

The tool appears to track thank yous separately, which I think is great.

Jim

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have been thinking about this.

Uncharacteristically, I feel strongly about this one.

Post counts reflect a persons posts. The time and effort to comment, IMHO, is not the same as pressing the Thanks button.

We don't give post credits for Views.

Also, it'd be a quick way to bypass our 5 post rule in the Classifieds.

Not knocking the Thanks button in any way, just don't think they should count towards post counts.

The tool appears to track thank yous separately, which I think is great.

Jim

I am with Jim on this one. The very fact that the folks are asking is a concern. The ones that asked don't concern me but the ones that are silent now do. We need to post this as quick as possible so everyone is on the same page, no matter which way we go. And I too like the tool. Great addition for a phone reply!!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Two opposing thoughts:
1. If it counts toward your total # of posts, people might just say thank you for the heck of it, which is counterproductive
2. If it doesn't count toward your total # of posts, people might do a text reply with the text "thanks" instead of using the button, just to get the hit

I think #1 is a bigger concern, since #2 is more work. People are lazy :) So let's not have it count - can I change my vote?

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Aside from the classifieds, what are the big concerns over post counts? User activity? Knowledge?

Confused in Ral.:dontknow:

But I will add that I personally see it as an easy way to cop out of making a post, and does not really promote member interaction, or engagement. Perhaps useful for phone users, but it may discourage those same users from logging in at a later time to comment.

Last edited:

TracyP

Tracy
Aside from the classifieds, what are the big concerns over post counts? User activity? Knowledge?

Confused in Ral.:dontknow:

It seems in the world of forums, post count is a way to show your activity level and knowledge. Hence why we have the top posters, top posters of the month, top poster, etc. It is kinda fun to some to see their name at the top of something....

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I voted "I don't care" in the poll, but after seeing the posts in this thread, I'm more in favor of it not affecting post count. That would help to keep the "Thanks" genuine and a great alternative for folks that have nothing to add to a thread, but still want to show their appreciation for an informative and/or good post. I know I've been that person MANY of times. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Per Froglips: Also, it'd be a quick way to bypass our 5 post rule in the Classifieds.
We can set it up so you have to post 5 time before you can use the 'Thanks'..

At this time with 4 votes :thumbs_do, 4 who do not care and my 1 vote for it, in which I really do not care one way or anther. I have changed Thank Yous to not count in the post count. If more votes to count then we will go from there..

As for as the 2 that asked 1 was a member and 1 was staff.. :cool:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I voted to not count as a post. I do feel this tool may give us a barometer on what members are providing information to the site that is actually appreciated by our peers.
I also wonder if this feature will work on closed threads. Someone may go into an archived thread and read something that proves valuable to them and wish to express their appreciation. Would they be able to do this there?

TracyP

Tracy
There are just a few usergroups that can post to closed threads. Regular users are not one of those groups.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are just a few usergroups that can post to closed threads. Regular users are not one of those groups.

My point exactly. If a member goes into a closed thread and wants to say thanks about a post he finds there, although it would not be counted as a post, would they be able to convey that acknowledgment with this setup?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
An interesting question.

I tested it with my Regular User test id, I was able to do a Thanks on a closed thread.

Jim

I voted to not count as a post. I do feel this tool may give us a barometer on what members are providing information to the site that is actually appreciated by our peers.
I also wonder if this feature will work on closed threads. Someone may go into an archived thread and read something that proves valuable to them and wish to express their appreciation. Would they be able to do this there?

cskipper

Cathy
FWIW, I voted to not have these not increase a post count. Ya'll have pretty well stated the reasons - post counts have carried some significance in level of actual participation on the site, posts count toward classifieds, may count toward DQ status (I don't remember and can't seem to find that info). I'm sure that you folks can work around the last two. Mostly I don't think they should count because while it's a nice feature it isn't a post. Even if someone only posted "Thanks" at least they would have made that effort (and I don't think I've ever seen just "thanks" as a post). Folks usually say why they are saying "thanks".

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Post count as far as I know only matters up to 5. After that people have the same access at 5 or 500 (if I'm wrong let me know?).
There is a post about someone with several ads. The time of his first post (that I saw) and his last ad was under 30 minutes. I'd lay odds he clicked the first 5 threads he could. doesn't matter, because he followed the rules...
I voted no because as far as I know there is no incentive to run up your count or keep it low.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
FWIW, DQ status does not use post count.

It uses visitation frequency and who are we thread, plus some other profile info.

Jim

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Two opposing thoughts:
1. If it counts toward your total # of posts, people might just say thank you for the heck of it, which is counterproductive
2. If it doesn't count toward your total # of posts, people might do a text reply with the text "thanks" instead of using the button, just to get the hit

I think #1 is a bigger concern, since #2 is more work. People are lazy :) So let's not have it count - can I change my vote?

Looking at Bas post he wants to change his vote to NO! :cool:

We have 16 staff members and 7 BOD for a total of 23 Votes.

1 Vote to count
9 Votes not to count
6 Votes Do not care
16 Votes Total,

It is Finial!! :eusa_clap THANK YOUS WILL NOT COUNT AS POST.:eusa_clap

And with is I will close this thread.. And thanks for Voting. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors