Techshop Refugee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_C

New User
Gary
I joined the Techshop in Raleigh about 18 months ago and started my journey into woodworking. Found the lathe and got hooked...been making pens for a while and then got into turning bowls...just having fun and developing skills when in mid-April I got an e-mail from the Techshop that said they were closing their Raleigh location.

So got myself organized...cleaned out the garage....took the refund from my techshop membership and bought a bandsaw when Woodcraft had Rikons on sale. While I was in Woodcraft I saw that they had put the Nova 1622-44 on sale again...so a week or so later I went back for it. Got my electrician in to run some power in the garage and at the same time we hung some shop lights.

So..I guess I'm in business again....just now getting stuff organized and starting to see how all this new stuff works....

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Congrats on the beginning of "your" shop. It will become more costly (always another tool required) than joining the Techshop, but it is much more enjoyable when you can walk from the house to the shop on your own schedule. You can work 10 minutes or 10 hours.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congratulations on having your OWN shop. Using someone else tools is okay, but there is nothing like having your own tools and your own space.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It's not until you wake up a 2:00 am and find yourself in the shop that you really appreciate having your own tools.

Best wishes in your new adventure and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You will find this place to be one of the best tools you can find.

Congratulations on getting started with your own shop.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
That looks like a Grizzly bandsaw in your picture. Is that from the Tech Shop? I think you will really enjoy having your own space.

Gary_C

New User
Gary
It's not until you wake up a 2:00 am and find yourself in the shop that you really appreciate having your own tools.

I haven't been there at 2 am but I was in the shop at mid-night last night...and 6 am before work is pretty common!

That looks like a Grizzly bandsaw in your picture. Is that from the Tech Shop? I think you will really enjoy having your own space.

Yes, the Grizzy was at the TechShop...now I need a new photo with my 14" Rikon

Congrats on the beginning of "your" shop. It will become more costly (always another tool required)

I already want a drill press...and really liked the Powermatic at the Techshop but really don't want to spend that much money on a drill. In the meantime I'm learning to drill on my lathe...I think I'll keep my eyes open for a used drill press

but it is much more enjoyable when you can walk from the house to the shop on your own schedule. You can work 10 minutes or 10 hours.

Yes...there were plenty of times I wanted to work for a short while but didn't make the drive to the shop. This will be much more convenient. Now if I can just get my wife to keep her car in the driveway I would have all the space I need!

:D

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I already want a drill press...:D

Not to be an enabler here - but here's a DP option you might check out. On Friday I saw a Delta floor model drill press at the Raleigh ReStore (close to Capitol Blvd), priced at $275 I think. Seemed to be in fine shape, but I did not 'test it' in any way.

Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS