Teak Frame finally finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Here is my first attempt at a picture frame that was not going to be painted. I was okay with how my joints turned out, but there is lots of room for improvement.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions for miter sleds and jigs, which I will be building soon.

I had one joint with a hairline crack that I ended up filling in with glue and sanding dust. It did finish out slightly darker than the teak frame.

I used pine splines in the corners for more glue surface and to strengthen the joint. I liked how they turned out.

The cross is Walnut and was one of the four that Scott Miller cut for me. I applied about 4 coats of low-gloss Tung oil, then about 4 coats of high-gloss poly. I really like how the grain pops.

The field is oak with 2 coats of poly.

The frame has about 4 coats of low-gloss Tung oil, then 2 coats of poly. The picture doesn't show very well the nice color of the Teak. I am going to enjoy making more frames from the stock I have left.

103_0123.JPG

103_0117.JPG

Brian

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Brian, the frame looks super nice to me. The splines in the edges looks better than a spline in the face of the frame, though with some woods, the complementing colors may be more appealing.
(Yeah, like I am some resource for fashion :rolleyes: )

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work there, Brian!

I too really like the splines you used with the teak. They also compliment the color of the oak field.

Nice hanging for the wall with stories to tell as well! Fellow NCWW contributions and the great recovering on the mitres:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Well done.:eusa_clap

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Love the spline, and great work on getting the miters this good. Sure is a lot easier when you can paint...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS