Teak,Danish oil or ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
What finish should I use for a wooden rocker that will be used on a semi-protected outdoor deck?
I am restoring a 34 year old rocking chair. It was originally assembled with white glue, but is now being used on a covered deck, and the glue started dissolving. I disassembled all of it except for the seat board (glued strips which I will reinforce with a brass strap underneath) and reassembled with Titebond III.
I do not want to use a penetrating stain, as there are still some dings, etc from 30+ years of use, however, the LOML doesn't particularly want me to use poly. I am okay with an oil finish and having to recoat it occasionally, and I think it would give her the "feel' she wants.
I scraped all the old finish off (think it was a pigmented lacquer, but could have been a thin varnish/stain combo.) as I didn't want chemical removers to penetrate the wood. The wood feels fairly hard but I do not know what it is (will try to attach pics) .
I was set to try danish oil, but then saw some Watco teak oil that appered to be more suited for outdoors. Do you think this would work?

The chair:

The grain:

Thanks for any help
:)Go

ps. Still need to learn that thumbnail post technique.

Last edited by a moderator:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
FWIW, I used Behr scandinavian oil on the rockers on my front porch. It is tung oil with UV blockers. It has done pretty well, and recoating has not been bad (have done it once). I just cleaned it up with murphy's oil soap and an abrasive pad, let it dry from the cleaning, and recoat it. I ended up putting on 3 coats and I think they look pretty good.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
What finish should I use for a wooden rocker that will be used on a semi-protected outdoor deck?
I am restoring a 34 year old rocking chair. It was originally assembled with white glue, but is now being used on a covered deck, and the glue started dissolving. I disassembled all of it except for the seat board (glued strips which I will reinforce with a brass strap underneath) and reassembled with Titebond III.
I do not want to use a penetrating stain, as there are still some dings, etc from 30+ years of use, however, the LOML doesn't particularly want me to use poly. I am okay with an oil finish and having to recoat it occasionally, and I think it would give her the "feel' she wants.
I scraped all the old finish off (think it was a pigmented lacquer, but could have been a thin varnish/stain combo.) as I didn't want chemical removers to penetrate the wood. The wood feels fairly hard but I do not know what it is (will try to attach pics) .
I was set to try danish oil, but then saw some Watco teak oil that appered to be more suited for outdoors. Do you think this would work?

The chair:

The grain:

Thanks for any help
:)Go

ps. Still need to learn that thumbnail post technique.

Check out this site!

Teak Finishing-Teak oil-Teak furniture care-Teak furniture manufacturers-Bali-Indonesia

Danish Oil, Watco Teak Finish

T

toolferone

General Finishes makes a great finish called "Outdoor oil". I sell it at work and have heard nothing but great responses form all that use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS