Tax filing, where we stand, where I stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
This past Monday I received an email from Joe Scharle that included a forwarded email from Judy Rube with Huband & Brown, CPA requesting information regarding their services for this tax year. It was asking if we would be needing their services again and if so the filing date is May 15.

I didn't immediately reply to Joe or Judy because I had to dig and make calls to find out why the filing date would be in May for a tax year ending in June. It had not been my intention to use this firm but in light of the apparent urgency of the situation I called Judy yesterday to begin sorting out the truth about our year end time and to try and get some resolution.

It took some time but we discovered that when the application was filed to the IRS it had been declared that our year does in fact end in December. That would explain the May 15 filing deadline.

I requested she file an extension in which she agreed to do.

Now, as of this writing I will be getting our accounts and bookkeeping in order to turn necessary info over to the accountants. I will provide a balance sheet at the next BOD meeting at the end of the picnic

On a personal note, I am beyond tired of fighting for passwords, important financial documents not delivered upon my taking this job over, answers to PM's or BOD post, the obvious lack of participation and support from this Board as well as the past members that were responsible for the debacle I find myself in today.

Getting an honest answer, getting help to find answers and my personal favorite, Tracy refusing to give me access to SignaPay saying he just can't risk having it get screwed up has been the final straw.

Let me remind each and every one of you on this Board we all have legal responsibility for this Corporation, not just the Treasurer. If something progressive isn't done before those of you going off the Board step down, I will be joining you and leave this mess to the poor suckers elected to replace you. It will be quite interesting to see if any of them will be as concerned about cover our stupidity as I have ours and those before us.

Last edited:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Read -
I keep writing and deleting.
Barbara I empathize with you.
No idea how I might help but if I can please ask.

M

McRabbet

I have never understood why past officers have provided such poor support for their successors with the single exception of Scott Miller who I know has been of great help to Dennis by putting NC Woodworker first. I got absolutely nothing from Doug despite several PM's and emails from me to him early in my tenure. No records, no names and addresses, no emails or PMs -- he apparently thought I knew by osmosis. About all I got from him was an admission that he had not gotten the liability insurance for the Board required by our Bylaws. Apparently, Joe has treated Barbara in similar fashion and for that I am sorry, because fundamentally, I believe he is a good person -- he just wanted to get rid of his role and assumed he had provided what she needed. While it is important for each of use to take on responsibility, I recognize that each new officer will have a steep learning curve and we must empathsize with their lack of knowledge and reach out to help them whenever needed.

I won't leave without turning over all that I have done, particularly with the Raffles. I have already provided Cathy (months ago) all of the past raffle details, copies of correspondence and emails. I will do the same with this current raffle even though it came at high stress time for me. I have also tried to be completely open with the Board to seek your input on the Wilson & Ratledge extra billing for their "additional" services from more than a year before they billed us for them. Sadly, Doug was not very helpful in resolving that issue either. As I have mentioned, I have had some very significant family and personal health issues since December and that has impacted my ability to do what I know I should have done better. I'm burned out, too, but I promise I won't leave the next board without the benefit of my transitional help.

In the "for what it's worth department", I thought our fiscal year was July 1st to June 30th as well. Barbara, I'm sorry you have had to endure this added stress,but you are doing the right thing. by requesting an extension.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I guess I got it easy with the secretary position. All I really have to do is hand over the Corporate Records to the next secretary. The thread that Cathy started about continuity was a good one. I typed everything I can think of about my position in that thread for the next Secretary. Perhaps everyone else should do that as well.

I'm sorry for all of the hassle you've had to deal with Barbara. Personally, I am burned out. It was all I could do to just make it until the end of my term. It isn't this site or this position or any of that. It's all the other crap that's been going on my life (Dad's declining health, health issues of my own, very demanding job, moving, etc.) Sadly, I think that a majority of the people on this board have had similar issues and I can certainly understand why we haven't been as active as the last board.

I'd like to say that some magic switch could be turned and make everything easier for you Barbara, but to be honest, I think it is what it is and I thank you VERY much (as well as the rest of the board) for your hard work. Hopefully the surprises will stop sooner or later. I hate that the past members weren't able to help everyone learn their positions, but we can change that for the next folks by documenting all of this. I am very excited that we will have four new folks joining the board and that should greatly improve the participation level. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

I know that most of the board members who step down become moderators, but I would like to step down to normal member status. Hopefully, I can fill a greater roll in the site at some point in the future. For now, if I can assist you in any way Barbara (or any of the rest of you), please let me know. :icon_thum

Thanks,

Trent

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Filing an extension doesn't necessarily mean not paying the taxes by May 15. IIRC, extensions must be accompanied by at least 95% of the estimated taxes to be paid. It is only the return that is extended.

As for the SignaPay issue, we may be required to provide sources on all our income - including donations - making data in that account very necessary to the IRS. Non Profit status requires us to be completely transparent with all our finances. I know you understand that, Barbara, so this statement is basically a reiteration for the rest of the BOD. I'm not sure the previous BOD members understand the importance of or how to implement that policy.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
"Getting an honest answer, getting help to find answers and my personal favorite, Tracy refusing to give me access to SignaPay saying he just can't risk having it get screwed up has been the final straw."

I'm going to say this as nice as I know how to. One FINAL time; There is not, nor has there ever been a log on to Signa Pay, AUTHORIZE.NET HAS ALL THE INFORMATION THAT SHOULD BE REQUIRED AS ALL TRANSACTIONS ORIGINATE THERE and I personally resent what the above statement seems to implicate. I have nothing to gain by not giving that information even if it existed, personally I would love to have it out of my name and be done with it; which will happen at or before the end of my term. I have called them several times to request that they change the address and I will call them one more time if I get time today.

cskipper

Cathy
I am not ignoring this thread, and have found the responses to be interesting. Barbara and I have discussed all of this particular issue so she doesn't need my input here. Regarding getting response to issues, training, guiding, supporting and action being taken by current and former board members has been extremely frustrating to me too.

I am glad that I requested "job duties" and appreciate all of the responses. Rob, I did find the original disc in my move back to Forest City. I also appreciate receiving copies of the correspondence that Rob has made during the lawyer issues as well as the raffle information. I

Last edited:

b4man

New User
Barbara
This might jog your memory Tracy. If it doesn't there's more where this came from.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 8, 2012 3:15:57 PM EST
To: "Barbara Forman" <b4man@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: question

there is no login for signapay. They are the BANK that processes our transactions into cash. Authorize.net is out payment gateway, parallel solutions is the merchant account that allows raffles. It takes all three together to work. Please do not change anything at signa pay. I am the only one that can. I will have the address switched to you. please send an email cancelling your prior email. Their security is worse than north korea. not fussing, but the trouble at the start of the last raffle was due to security measures at signa pay. Took m forever to get straightened out. If there are no transaction for 90 days they put our account in a dormant state. Took me three days to get it straightened out.

Thanks
Tracy

PS: and again, I am not fussing

-----Original Message----- From: Barbara Forman
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 3:01 PM
To: Tracy Pardue
Subject: question

do you know why we have 2 credit card processors? Signapay/Auth.net and Parallel Solutions?

I remember that raffle sales had something to do with who we used but I can't find where we use Parallel Sol.
I've had to write Signapay for a login ID and address change from Joe to me. Joe said he never had a login for them.

I'm trying to get my accounting caught up.

me=

signapay jpeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS