Target Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I've done a couple of these now, made this one for a local pastor to set up in his back yard for target practice:
Nothing special about the construction - just plywood and 2x4's with some screws and glue

AGSQ4162.jpg

IMG_10141.JPG

IMG_10164.jpg

IMG_10183.jpg

VMRO1410.jpg

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Well I just got back from the Adirondack mountains in NY and some visits to Vermont and NH. The weather was very nice -- it was like late October in the western part of NC. With leaves turning yellow and red it was a great time to go shoot some patched balls. I had 3 rifles to zero in the rear and front sights. I made a target holder that wasn't as nice as the one you built but I had to make due and it was so much fun to be shooting again up on the side of a mountain where I shot as a kid.

I don't like cleaning the flintlocks but I sure like shooting them. I have a couple of Hawken rifles with 50cal barrels and they shoot so nicely and they clean up so easily I tend to take them out in the field for the sake of ease. Every time I do that I wish I had my longrifles to mix it up.

DSC08139.JPG

DSC08137.JPG

These are set triggers. They are nice for target shooting but hunters get all up in a not when the big buck comes in sight. I make all my triggers double set and double action so if the shooter forgets to set the triggers he can still "hog" the front and fire.
DSC08135.JPG

DSC07955.JPG

Hawken 50 cal with hooked breechplug and tapered barrel. This rifle is just what made the Hawken brothers rifles so desirable for pilgrims leaving the east and not coming back.

cheek_taper1.jpg

This one is a small caliber rifle made from a sugar maple root dug out of the ground in southwestern NH. It shoots so well I just can't seem to sell it.
DSC05965.JPG

DSC05951.JPG

Many of the Plains Rifles were made in walnut with iron mounts. My nephew doesn't like the fancy brass and curly maple. He likes the 54cal Hawken with a nice trigger set up for targets and hunting. So..
pot_and_pencil.jpg

This is how the bars of pewter start out. The rifle below shows a "poured muzzle cap" being shaped.
cap_nose.jpg

The brass mounts on the rifle below are from a wooden sample I made and used with a wax investment casting set up. The man who does this casting work for me is close to 90 years old and he works with a purpose in his step.
cheek_taper.jpg

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I've made some similar to this in the past, horse stall mats from tractor supply make grate material for hanging targets from. Can easily staple your target to it and since they are rubber they "self heal" to some extent.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Your pastor obviously shoots better than the people at my range. With the rate of destruction by shooters, my range can't afford to get all fancy using 2x4s.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS