Target Coatings EM 6000 with Crosslinker Durability

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Hey Guys, I'm refinishing a dining room table top as part of a larger commissioned project and looking to try a water-based alternative. I'd like to try the EM 6000 but my research has not really convinced me it's durable enough with the Crosslinker for a table top. Any experiences to share? Not expecting a lot of abuse but it's used regularly. I'm spraying with a 4 stage Fuji.

Also, I'm aware of GF Poly Clear and Endo Var, but I'm also looking for a WB lacquer for a much larger project with this same customer. I wanted to give Target a try and this may solve both issues with one product.

Thanks

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
I have not used the EM6000 but have sprayed a couple of gallons of EM6600(pigmented lacquer). I have an entertainment console sprayed with the em6600 and while it doesn't see the same use as a table top I see zero issues with durability. Most of the time I top coat the EM6600 with EM9300(poly carbonate) which seems very durable. The last set of cabinets I sprayed I used EM6600 top coat with the EM9300 satin + cross linker and it seemed extremely durable. The first set of cabinets where I used the combination(6600 + 9300) have been in my personal house for over 2 years and I see no wear. I have sprayed with an older 3 stage titan system and the target coatings sprays very well! I have also seen some articles about people using the Target coatings EM8000CV for walnut with beautiful results. I still spray some NC lacquer but once my stock is depleted I will likely move to all water based coatings and likely use majority of Target products. The EM6600 and likely EM6000 really do spray nicely and I have had zero issues. A little goes along way! Some people complain about the crosslinker creating a rough surface. I guess they didn't mix the product correctly...Mine leveled out perfectly. I have also read where there is a few week cure time to reach max durability, possibly keep this in mind.

If using the crosslinker, watch this video as it has to be stirred constantly for a few minutes as you add it slowly and after.

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
I have not used the EM6000 but have sprayed a couple of gallons of EM6600(pigmented lacquer). I have an entertainment console sprayed with the em6600 and while it doesn't see the same use as a table top I see zero issues with durability. Most of the time I top coat the EM6600 with EM9300(poly carbonate) which seems very durable. The last set of cabinets I sprayed I used EM6600 top coat with the EM9300 satin + cross linker and it seemed extremely durable. The first set of cabinets where I used the combination(6600 + 9300) have been in my personal house for over 2 years and I see no wear. I have sprayed with an older 3 stage titan system and the target coatings sprays very well! I have also seen some articles about people using the Target coatings EM8000CV for walnut with beautiful results. I still spray some NC lacquer but once my stock is depleted I will likely move to all water based coatings and likely use majority of Target products. The EM6600 and likely EM6000 really do spray nicely and I have had zero issues. A little goes along way! Some people complain about the crosslinker creating a rough surface. I guess they didn't mix the product correctly...Mine leveled out perfectly. I have also read where there is a few week cure time to reach max durability, possibly keep this in mind.

If using the crosslinker, watch this video as it has to be stirred constantly for a few minutes as you add it slowly and after.
Thanks, Jim. I did watch that video today and Jeff was very specific on how to mix. I like your feedback on the ease of spraying. That seems to be a common response. At least that problem would be solved.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I have used Target EM6000 for my kitchen (anigre veneer), bedroom (walnut and walnut veneer) and all bath rooms (anigre veneer). The kitchen , especially the cabintes and drawers underneath the sink and at the island do take quite a bit of abuse. The bathroom cabinets are also getting a regular and unintended 'steam' treatment. The bed room furniture has obviously less abuse to endure. So far all held up well.
All sprayed with a 3-stage Apollo turbine. When I started out using Target coatings, I went by the book and used sealer, diluted topcoats, then topcoats etc. Now I just spray EM6000 directly out of the can and I can see no difference. I use 4-5 coats. My main problem is drying time and dust (don't have a seprate spray booth), so I generally end up polishing the final piece with Klingspor 3000 grit pads.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have sprayed the CV and the acrylic lacquer (mostly without the cross linker). The lacquer was easier to spray for me - never had issues. THE CV (EM8000 I think) I had issues with until another user here on NCWW pointed out the wet films thickness recommendations for the CV - more than typical (I was going by the 'more thick coats is better than fewer thick coats' adage and apparently did not consistently get to the proper wet film thickness. SO I had the wet film pul back (in a reverse puddle sort of way in some areas. THicker films eliminated this issue.

I have sprayed two table tops with the CV, have used the lacquer on the table bases and a bed, and the pigmented lacquer on a large built in (no top coat over the pigment lacquer). I'm a happy user of Target Coatings products.

I can't recall which project, but have used the cross linker too. I did not have issues with rough coatings, and followed the video instructions carefully.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS