Table Top

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I need to make a table top that is 20" x 20" x 3/4". My first thought was to get some dimensional lumber and edge glue it, but the consistency is usually not very good, and I don't have a jointer, planer, or plane. I'm trying to think if there is some sort of commercially available glue up or some place I can appropriate one. It's needs to be stainable. Pine would be okay. Lowe's has some glued up scraps for table tops, but the last ones I saw were not very attractive for staining.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Finished shelving boards from the big box are typically good quality. They generally have 10" and 12".

Likely available in 6' length, cut to size and glue it up.

Alternatively, I'm in Four Oaks, NC and would be glad to assist.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I've had several glue-ups done at Hardwood Store of NC in Gibsonville that have turned out well.
I dont know their formula for pricing, but for my projects it looked to be the cost of the stock plus about $60.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you have a flat work table, then just get some self stick sandpaper ands stick it one a level or some other straight item, then clamp it on the table (make sure it is 90deg to the surface) and you can sand the edge to a perfect joint ready edge. Cost 5-10 bucks........

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mike, if you get some boards you like, you are welcome to bring them here and I'll help you get them prepped and glued up.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have edged boards for glueup a couple times with my track saw. I did it that way because they were long and my jointer is short but it will work fine for your situation.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I got an edge-joined board from Lowe's that I can cut in half and edge glue to give me enough material to make the top. Hopefully the edges that need to be joined are glue-worthy.

Bill, thanks for the offer. I do have some things with which I'd like your help when we can work out a time.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I got an edge-joined board from Lowe's that I can cut in half and edge glue to give me enough material to make the top. Hopefully the edges that need to be joined are glue-worthy.

Bill, thanks for the offer. I do have some things with which I'd like your help when we can work out a time.

Just let me know when you'd like to come over. I'm in the shop most afternoons.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors