Table top joinery

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I have many sweetgum ovals which I have trimmed to assemble like petals of a flower which I need to join together to make a table top base on which I will put a glass top. The diameter of the sweetgum array is a little over 4'. What is the best way to do the joinery? You can see a pic of them in https://raleigh.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=sweetgum+ovals as picture #6. (I still can't upload pics in NCWW).

Dowels cannot be used and I have never used biscuits. Are biscuits a possibility?

Last edited:

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
The most important thing here is the support from underneath. If fully supported there won't be any strain on the joint. Biscuits will work in this situation as will a spline (make sure grain is cross wise) so you don't have to buy a biscuit joiner. I'm not sure how wood expansion is going to affect this.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I think you need a good support base (plywood) rather than dowels because they are likely do develop large cracks.

Last edited:

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
There will definitely be a support under the sweetgum. Any joinery technique I will use will be to keep the sweetgum joints tight - not for support.

JohnnyR, thanks for the spline idea. Never done it but it looks like it would be easier to assemble the parts - unlike dowels which I think would be impossible. I could rig up clamps to hold the joints tight while the glued spline sets. It would definitely be cross-grain splines.
Thanks for replies,
Bob

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nice flower petal idea in pic #6. So you've already cut the ovals as pictured? The spline suggestion will work but clamping the pieces together to keep the joints tight may be a problem with the awkward geometry!

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
The ovals in the pic are just practice pieces. I want to get the technique down so I don't screw up nice kiln-dried stock. I tried it with dowels today and that was a clamping nightmare and it would have to be done 2 more times to make all 4 "petals" an assembly. No more dowels for this project. I have decided to cut 1/2" slots for a 6" x 6" x 0.5" spline on my sawmill. It won't be a smooth notch but a spline coated with epoxy should adhere nicely. I can plane the spline for adequate clearance in the slot. More later.
Bob

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I notched the half ovals today on the sawmill and planed a temporary spline. See pics but don't notice the screw-up.:no: The notch is not centered but that shouldn't matter except that I put one of the "petals" on the mill up-side-down relative to the others. So that petal has its bark in a different orientation from the others. Oh well, this project is a practice run anyway. I plan to make a permanent spline from the spline shown by gluing two pieces of them with the grain opposing so I will get a cross-grain spline. Then I will plane it to the proper thickness which is ~0.5"

BTW, thanks to Danmart77 for helping me with posting pics.

Bob

Attachments

• P1020936b.jpg
    P1020936b.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 163
  • P1020937b.jpg
    P1020937b.jpg
    944.9 KB · Views: 168
  • P1020939b.jpg
    P1020939b.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A start. It would be nice if we could enlarge or zoom on those pics. I can't see much about them.

I don't see a "spline shown" but the pics are tiny.

Last edited:

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Jeff, My difficulty in posting was that my pics were too big so I must have over corrected. See if the pics in reply #8 are better. Pic ...37b shows the spline (in foreground)
before
it is cut to size.

Bob

Last edited:

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Contrasting bow ties would look fantastic. But, frankly, I am not a very accomplished woodworker. I really like making the lumber more than things with the lumber. I am experimenting with these sweetgum ovals to see what's possible in hopes of selling some of the many ovals I have.

Bob

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Hard to tell dimensions from the pic. but it looks like you went awfully deep. It looks like you made it 5/8" wide which would require no more than 1/2" deep. I'm guessing at this so someone with more common sense can chime in.
'"

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
The spline is about 9" x 9" x 0.5" in its final form and made from black oak. In the pic showing the spline, it has not been cut to length yet. Does that clear anything up?

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Now I understand the picture! What I was suggesting is a 1" x 1/2" spline the length needed. You would have to glue two quarters together, rout out the spline to join the two halves. In your method, I would be concerned that the Oak would expand/contract at a different rate than the top. I don't know how stable sweet gum is but you could also use a plywood spline if you do it as in the picture. If the table is supported by an apron or otherwise, a thin spline might be safer.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I originally thought of using plywood but 1/2" I thought was about 1/32" too thin for the slot. Should a spline fit loosely? What about the effect of the epoxy - won't that fill in the gap making a tight fit? I have not glued the spline yet so I still have choices.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I originally thought of using plywood but 1/2" I thought was about 1/32" too thin for the slot. Should a spline fit loosely? What about the effect of the epoxy - won't that fill in the gap making a tight fit? I have not glued the spline yet so I still have choices.

Use your oak spline. How does the one in your pic fit in the slot.

Don't over-engineer the construction and joinery. Isn't this a test piece? See if it blows apart or falls apart.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors