Table saw

I want to know what must woodworkers do when setting up the rip fence.

Should the fence be completely square to the blade and miter track or is it better to set the far end a 32nd or so opened.

I recently had a kick back incident that was not pleasant.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I usually set them .003 to .006 inch away from the blade at the far end of the saw.

There are usually other contributing factors to kickback.
Like using a crosscut miter gage with the rip fence, internal stress in the wood being released causing the kerf to open or close after the cut, or some other condition that pinches the wood in some way.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Yes, and I'll add to Mike's post that you need good push devices that also hold the wood down well in addition to pushing it forward. A pair of Microjig Grrippers will make a huge difference, but you should also carefully watch the Microjig videos on YouTube to learn how to use them properly.

It's my bet that you were ripping solid wood too. When ripping you not only need the right blade and good fence calibration, but also a splitter or riving knife installed and adjusted properly. When solid wood bends as a result of the saw cut relieving internal stresses in the wood during a ripping cut, the wood will either bind against the blade or the fence, causing the rising teeth at the rear of the blade to lift the wood up and throw it at you. Keeping the wood from lifting by using good hold down devices will usually prevent serious kick backs. A knee operable off switch or foot switch is a good thing to have when ripping solid wood too, so you can stop the saw without letting go with your hands to do it.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have had little offcuts thrown by the blade but I do not remember the piece I was cutting ever getting away from me. A riving knife helps but I don't love the one in my SawStop because it is so thin. It doesn't keep a piece of wood from pinching the blade if the kerf closes. I have never owned a 220V 3hp or bigger saw, however. It may be that they have the power to rip the board out of my hands. But if you use good technique to hold the board you are cutting and stand out of the way you should be well protected from kickback.

My rip fence is set as parallel as I can measure, within .001. I have often towed it out a little as Mike does but I've been experiencing a tiny amount of burning with a new, pretty clean infinity blade. So I set it up parallel. The really bad thing to do with this setting is to set it towed in, closer at the back than the front. You do not want that. Parallel or very slightly out is the way to set it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will second @Charles Lent 's suggestion: "A pair of Microjig Grrippers will make a huge difference, but you should also carefully watch the Microjig videos on YouTube to learn how to use them properly."

I was attempting a "stupid" cut on the table saw Two 45 degree rip cuts (left and right hand) so yup you guessed it, I need to figure out how to cut feeding a board "backwards" on the table saw :rolleyes:

So what I ended up doing was to cut the right hand first - (simple cut / normal cut) set the blade at 45 deg., set the fence to width and feed the board into a stop clamped to the fence.

Now for the potential "shorts-changing moment"...
Well on the first cut I used the Micro Jig gripper and literally threw my old push sticks in the garbage! (seriously)

I left the set-up, but moved the stop on the fence to the inboard side of the fence and a board to hold-down the board I was cutting. I lowered the blade, turned on the saw, inserted the board to be cut and held it in place with the Gripper and raised the blade...

While I would not recommend this to anyone, it is NOT how the tool was designed for use and had I experienced a kick-back, it would have been monumental - what will recommend is the use of the Gripper in place of ANY other method for stock feeding for the table saw!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors