table saw upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Well, I finally dod something I have been wanting to do for some time. The motor on my table saw was 110v, 1 1/2 hp. I have been wanting to upgrade, esp. since the motor was acting up (like all us old folks). Anyway, in addition to upgrading the motor I wanted to replace the on/off switch and add another switch beside it to operate my dust collector, which is connected to the saw, planer, and jointer with gates to open and close as needed. Well, I got the switches, ran new wire for the saw and the dust collector. I ordered a new motor from Woodworkers Supply in Graham - a 2 hp 220v. TEFC (Couldn't afford the 3 hp). Anyway, the motor came and I set about wiring it up. Granted I am NOT an electrician, but I followed the directions on the cover. After I got through and turned in on, it ran backward. I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong so I called an electrician who works on motors for machinery. He looked it over and couldn't firgure it out either. We took the motor to a place here that services motors and they checked it out. Wires 5 & 6 were dead. Wires 1 & 2 were labeled wrong. Now this was a brand new motor. So I simply took it back to Woodworkers and got my money back. I came back to the place where I had the motor checked out, went ahead and sprung for a 3 hp they had in stock. I brought it home, wired in up in about 15minutes and turned it on. Now I have a new motor with plenty of power, 2 side-by-side switches to operate my table saw and dust collector without having to walk half way across the shop.Feels good!
Jim in Mayberry

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Grrrr. MORE POWER!!!
Congrats Jim!

Don't blame you a bit for taking it back. Quality Control was obviously missing on the first motor.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Mike
No. It was Surry Electric on Hadley St. off South street. I have dealt with them for a number of years and they know what they are doing and you can trust them.
Jim in MaYberry

dozer

Mike
:eusa_clap I just love hearing stories about more power. Nice upgrade on the motor. What type of saw did it go on? and I don't see any pictures yet... :)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Glad you found the right solution for your power needs. :icon_thum
The power increase should yield instantaneous results.

Congrats,
Roger

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
We all need more power:rolf: :rolf: Glad you were able to upgrade to the 3HP motor:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS