Table saw help

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That saw is sort of a casual copy of a Delta Unisaw. You can look up bearing change process for the Unisaw and get some idea of how to proceed. Sure, the location of little bolts and nuts may be a wee bit different, but the overall concept is about equal. Looking at a Unisaw and then at the Taiwan interpretation of that design, you should be able to tell the subtle differences.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Do what with sealed bearings? Microwave?
I'm guessing you're addressing re-lubricating. Sealed bearings can have the seal CAREFULLY pried out from the outside edges exposing the internals for cleaning and re-greasing. The seal can be popped back on after that. A good 6203 sealed bearing may cost about $7.00. An 'economy' grade 6203, about $3.00. I put economy in quotes because this is a family forum, but most will get my drift.

KyleS

New User
Kyle
When I replaced the bearings on mine, I used cheap sealed ones from fastenal, which may or may not have been a mistake. They were about 2$ a piece and i got them at the store. I drove the old ones off with a hammer but when I put the new ones on, I used a hydraulic press and ended up really screwing up the arbor. Then I had to buy a $100 arbor and I pressed the bearings on with the drill press using it kind of like an arbor press. That worked much better.

slowhike

New User
Tim
I really appreciate your help guys.
I'll see if I can't borrow the bearing puller on Sat and see if I find a match at Harbor Freight.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll see if I can't borrow the bearing puller on Sat and see if I find a match at Harbor Freight.
As far as I know, Harbor Freight doesn't sell bearings, but there are 2 Fastenal locations in Winston (North Point Blvd & Clemmonsville Rd.), and Bearing Distributors (corner of Indiana Ave & Cherry St).

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Chances are that auto parts stores will have a 6203 sealed bearing intended for some automotive purpose. Even our nearby Ace hardware has them in a little parts drawer. If Lowes has the same small parts drawers, they may have them. Electric motor repair shops. Small engine repair shops.

It would be a really good strategy to confirm first the size of the bearing needed. The 6203 is 17 mm bore x 40 mm outside x 12 mm thick.

slowhike

New User
Tim
OK, got two 6203 bearings at Fastenal for a little over $5.
Got the old ones off and the new ones on with the help of my brother's friend.
Didn't have to have the bearing puller but I did have to learn a little about snap rings.
The same guy had a set of internal snap ring plyers that we needed on one end.
I think the video showing how to the same on an old Delta Unisaw did not have the snap ring.

Didn't even have to microwave the bearings ;~)

I bumped the power a couple times and everything sounded perfect but now I'm wondering how much pressure to put on the motor before securing the bolt.

slowhike

New User
Tim
I went to Grizzly's web site and had a chat, hoping to find out the year this saw was made.
I gave the serial #, 9506123 but was told they would have to have the model #.
No model # to be found, inside or outside.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
now I'm wondering how much pressure to put on the motor before securing the bolt.

Push down on the motor with one hand and tighten with the other. That will leave a little slack on the belts but that is fine. You can lever the motor down with a hefty stick of wood and take all the slack out ,but that will just over stress the belts and bearings.

slowhike

New User
Tim
Push down on the motor with one hand and tighten with the other. That will leave a little slack on the belts but that is fine. You can lever the motor down with a hefty stick of wood and take all the slack out ,but that will just over stress the belts and bearings.
Thanks. Will do that.

slowhike

New User
Tim
The table saw sounds great. I'm going to clean the table top today. It has a think coat of rust. When this happened before in years past, I cleaned it with WD 40 and a scotch bright pad, followed by a light coat of Johnson's Past Wax. Is this still a preferred method?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
That’s what I’ve done in the past. Relaxing as needed keeps the top rust free in my garage without hvac.

The table saw sounds great. I'm going to clean the table top today. It has a think coat of rust. When this happened before in years past, I cleaned it with WD 40 and a scotch bright pad, followed by a light coat of Johnson's Past Wax. Is this still a preferred method?

slowhike

New User
Tim
Top clean, blade and fence back on!
Thank you for your help, each of you.
A couple more questions if I may.
I enclosed the opening around the motor and hooked a 6" dust collection pipe to the other side, coming from a 1.5 HP Jet dust collecter.
Is it possible that might cause the motor to overheat?

I hate to be selling it but I can get by with out a table saw for a while and I'm wondering what would be a fair asking price .
3HP, Shop Fox fence. Model G1023

Attachments

• saw top.jpg
    saw top.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 135
  • motor cover.jpg
    motor cover.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Saw fence.jpg
    Saw fence.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 138

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Fastenal sells 6203 2RS bearings for about two bucks each. As for quality, I put one in the tension pulley on daughter's car, which now has over 300K on it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS