Table Saw Brag

Status
Not open for further replies.

richlife

New User
Rich
I just bought the Delta 36-670 table saw that Ed Dews had in the NCWW classifieds and I just cannot help but puff out my chest and say: "Thanks, Ed". Ed takes great care of his tools. This saw is wonderful -- especially for me who has had a small Skil contractor saw for about 25 years and frankly just didn't know how good a table saw can be. Ed had added some nice extras both stock from Delta and personal "convenience" touches and I very much feel I paid a good but fair price for a 10 year old saw. Hopefully, we both feel we came out ahead!

One of the happiest things for me is that it does actually fit in my small shop. I had to move a small shelf so I could roll my joiner over and get enough space to insert the new saw in the old space, but it fits! All the rest is gravy!

And what a pleasure to meet Ed himself. While we are very different people, we have many commonalities and he is welcome to come visit me anytime. We got to share a great lunch at his local College BBQ.

Anyway, just a brag. And you know what? I haven't even tried the saw! It is so solid and heavy that it remains in parts in my shop waiting for my help tomorrow to lift things into place. But believe me, this cast iron and steel baby with its Delta T2 fence is remarkable. The fence itself weighs what my old Skil table saw did with its base. I am gonna have some fun with this!

Rich

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
If he didn't have one that came with the saw, get a Delta Tenon jig. That and a good Dado set (I like the Forrest) and you can make some mind blowing perfect joints.

richlife

New User
Rich
Interesting... thank you. Actually, I've been preparing for this saw for a number of years and had already purchased a tenon jig and dado set for it. My small Skil had a strange configuration with 5/8" (instead of 3/4") miter slots, so I was never able to use the tenon jig. The dado set I used once. Lots of new things with this saw. And that includes having to put new 3/4" skids on my crosscut sled.

Rich

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Nothing to fix. A brag is as good as a gloat to a blind horse. (I'm paraphrasing)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Rich, no good gloat is complete without pics. Just as soon as you get 'er up and running, we want to see some pics.:eusa_danc

richlife

New User
Rich
My but you guys are impatient! But I do have the saw re-assembled and loaded with all it's accessories. Now all I need to do is clear enough space to be able to get in and take a picture. :icon_scra

So, later today...

Rich

richlife

New User
Rich
You're gloating without pictures. That's not legit. Anyway, best of luck from it. Enjoy the saw!

Ok, ok. Sorry it took so long guys, but believe me, I have yet to remember how to do everything here at NCWW. Hopefully, the pic comes in properly.

Delta Table Saw.jpg
Here is the saw along with the accessories that have been waiting for it. The yellow item is the tenon jig (could not use with my old saw as it's miter slots were undersized). The box in the back contains the complete, unused dado set. Leaning against the front is my crosscut sled (again, I have to re-work the skids due to the miter slots). And the miter gauge and fence that came with the saw are on top. Not shown are the blade wrenches -- I had to get a new arbor wrench as Ed didn't have one for it. eReplacements came through for me in record time.

So that's it! You can see my shop is (or was at this picture taking a few days ago) a mess. After two years of just running in to use it for some household project and even storing some firewood (scrap cuts from the planks sawn from the trees we had to take down) for a few months, the shop REALLY needed some work. Since the saw now takes up literally 10% of the usable space, I'm also having to rearrange some and figure out the best space for the saw. I'll start a new thread and send some more pics when I get all that done -- soon!

Hope ya'll enjoyed my gloat! (brag) :D

Rich

Rick M

New User
Rick
My Delta contractor has been running strong for around 15 or 16 years, I'm sure you will enjoy this one very much.

richlife

New User
Rich
Ok, I used the saw to cut an 8 foot length of plywood as a poop shelf in my guinea coop. When I moved the saw back to it's "resting" position, there it was. A little pile of table saw poop! Immediately, the priority of setting up the dust collection for the saw went right to the top. After a few trim cuts and some serious twisting on my part, I was able to modify the collector for my old saw to fit the Delta and now the saw poop will be handled properly! (I'm so proud of myself... :eusa_danc )

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS