Table for Raleigh Mayor's Office

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Good for you!

As a sawyer I am interested in when it was felled and who milled and dried it. When I sell wood I really like being able to tell the buyer the story of where the tree was and other interesting info as you have told us, or will that be in the next issue of Raleigh Magazine? Thanks.

Bob

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Looks great. I know it's a proud moment personally and a great gift for the city and our state. It's great that it can continue to be a "living" history for the vibrant green jewel of Raleigh. I'll have to stop in and see it next time I'm downtown. It's story from planting to how and where it sits today seems like a great story. It's like playing the halftime show at the Superbowl of woodworking. It's inspiring to us woodworkers who are happy to just get two boards joined at 90°. Thanks for sharing it.

Stuart, for the movie adaption, who do you think should play you? Jason Statham ;) If you can put a good word in for me, I played a tree in a preschool performance.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Good for you!

As a sawyer I am interested in when it was felled and who milled and dried it. When I sell wood I really like being able to tell the buyer the story of where the tree was and other interesting info as you have told us, or will that be in the next issue of Raleigh Magazine? Thanks.

Bob
it was felled by the City of Raleigh I think, and then transported by my dear friend, the late Mr. Greg Poole Jr. to American Woodyards in Raleigh. They milled the log, and another was milled by our friend Scott Smith. I made bowls for the private donors that purchased Dix Park from the slabs cut by Scott.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Looks great. I know it's a proud moment personally and a great gift for the city and our state. It's great that it can continue to be a "living" history for the vibrant green jewel of Raleigh. I'll have to stop in and see it next time I'm downtown. It's story from planting to how and where it sits today seems like a great story. It's like playing the halftime show at the Superbowl of woodworking. It's inspiring to us woodworkers who are happy to just get two boards joined at 90°. Thanks for sharing it.

Stuart, for the movie adaption, who do you think should play you? Jason Statham ;) If you can put a good word in for me, I played a tree in a preschool performance.

very funny! Thank you for the kind words!

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
the finish is layered: fumed, dyed, stained, lacquered, waxed.
This wood was problematic from the outset. I did more to repair the raw material than was reasonable. It was dried incorrectly, had MANY cracks, splits, checks, etc. In the end, it worked because it looks like it's genuinely old.
for us less than knowledgeable folks, what is fuming, how is it done, etc. Sure I could google it, but getting it from someone who did it is way better!

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
for us less than knowledgeable folks, what is fuming, how is it done, etc. Sure I could google it, but getting it from someone who did it is way better!
don't have much time this morning, so here's the 'canned soup' version: using species with high tannic acid (ie. oak), you build a plastic tent around the piece. Then you place a container (I use a glass pie dish) with a quantity of aqueous ammonia, under the work piece. The fumes from the ammonia chemically react with the tannins and turn the wood a deep rich brown color.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS