Table for Raleigh Mayor's Office

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I delivered a table to the office of the Raleigh Mayor, Nancy McFarlane on Thursday. It is was made from a post oak tree planted in 1856 at the Dorothea Dix Mental Hospital, which was the year the hospital opened. As many of you are aware, the hospital was closed in 2005. The entire 365 acre plot was gifted to the City of Raleigh in the name of the "People of North Carolina" so that the city could create the first major public park to be built in American since 1865. I designed and built this table as a gift to the Mayor's office. It is from all of us, the People of North Carolina, so that whoever sits in that seat going forward, regardless of their political ideologies, will have to consider the People's Park. Or to put that another way, they have to do their duty, as I believe all Americans are bound, to stand up for the little guy, and be guided by this country's moral responsibility to act first for the people, and not the profit.

It will be featured in Raleigh Magazine next month.
I hope you all enjoy it.

Resized_20191021_150340(0)_4017.jpeg

20191017_163733.jpg

20191017_163743.jpg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Beautiful work. The land wasn't gifted to Raleigh, instead the City of Raleigh PURCHASED the Dix Park land from the State of North Carolina, using proceeds from a bond issue to pay for land. After the Council of State had agreed upon a purchase price, the nicomepoots in legislator tried to over ride the deal

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
what type of finish? Did you naturally distress the wood to make it look worn on top and along the skirt?
the finish is layered: fumed, dyed, stained, lacquered, waxed.
This wood was problematic from the outset. I did more to repair the raw material than was reasonable. It was dried incorrectly, had MANY cracks, splits, checks, etc. In the end, it worked because it looks like it's genuinely old.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Beautiful work. The land wasn't gifted to Raleigh, instead the City of Raleigh PURCHASED the Dix Park land from the State of North Carolina, using proceeds from a bond issue to pay for land. After the Council of State had agreed upon a purchase price, the nicomepoots in legislator tried to over ride the deal
you are partially correct. A group of private individuals purchased the property and gave it to the city under the conditions that it be used as a park and not to be developed. The bond you referenced was a part of the deal, but far from the whole deal. There are many who tried to undermine the deal. I am not at liberty to comment much more than that, but I can tell you that there was a lot behind the scenes to make Dix Park a reality.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS