Table done with modifications


Corporate Member

Well if you go back to September you will see the hole I fell into while building the top for this table. My first thoughts were an all walnut table. Not to be. Had some issues with the stock and I got up with my sawyer and he fixed me up with the maple you see below. Its wide red maple and its pretty flat. It works for me.

1-Final day on table and chair 007.JPG

The table is fairly complicated joinery in the trestle assembly design. Took some ideas from George Nakashima and another builder from up in NY. Mixed and matched for a good base.

Table dimensions: 72" x 38" x 4/4 with thinned down edges to a light 3/4" to keep it thin looking but strong. No breadboards on this one. The finish is a water based mixture that I am still in the works to get it just so but not there yet.

1-Final day on table and chair 008.JPG

With the 6' length it will be enough table space for 8 people for Thanksgiving and other gatherings.

1-Final day on table and chair 009.JPG

The maple boards are very nice to finish with just varnish and no filler needed.
1-Final day on table and chair 011.JPG

While building the table I started turning some bamboo legs with some curly maple blanks I have around the shop. I plan to do a few more to take to the market this winter season.
1-Final day on table and chair 001.JPG
1-Final day on table and chair 002.JPG



Senior User
Gorgeous table, would love to see more detailed pics without the chairs in the way so we can see more of the base :)


Corporate Member
Well Stuart this is the best I can do at this point. Hope it answers your questions.

Here are the vertical posts. The cuts are made in each of the 4 pieces for the center stretcher. In between the posts in the photo is the bottom foot revealing the cuts to be fitted to the bridal joint at the base of the posts. The foot is fitted in place in the back of the photo. The one in the foreground is disassembled for viewing.

Finish applied (5).JPG

Here you see the foot cut to shape and the stetcher fitted to the vertical posts.

Finish applied (1).JPG

The top of the posts has a horizontal member fitted with a bridal joint and pinned. I included shoulders on the cross members to help with racking and making a tighter joint.

Finish applied (4).JPG

Finish applied (6).JPG

The table posts are locked together with the long maple beams and half lapped to the posts on each end. There are 3 cross members to attach the table top to the base. This was done with inserts in the table and 1/4 -20 threaded bolts.

1-Final day on table and chair 009.JPG

I don't care much for tables with lots of narrow boards glued up. It has its challenges but in the end it gives me some satisfaction to wade thru the surprises and come out with something different. In this case I thought I would be looking at walnut in the morning but no.. its maple. I have lots of work on a couple rifles to keep me busy in the next month or so and I am steam bending chair parts this week.
Last edited:


Corporate Member
I like the joinery, looks like it would be pretty solid without a drop of glue. The top is gorgeous.


Corporate Member
Dan nice looking table and chairs, what water based finish did you use for the table?
Bob I mix up my own solution for the water based varnish that I use. As soon as I get it to flow out like I want, I will share my mixing measures.

Water based is easier to apply, dries faster, but when all is said and done I don't get the results with it that I get with solvent based varnish.

This is my 5th or 6th test I am running hoping to find a varnish top coat that doesn't take so long to dry. That's one of my interests in the top coat search.

What bothers me most is the difference in durability and wear of oil vs water.

I'll let you know when I get to a better mix but I can tell you if you plan to brush water based poly or straight varnish you need to thin it some before application.


Corporate Member
Dan, you are a Master! As always, thank you for sharing your craftsmanship with us.

Our Sponsors