Tabbed washer for shaper with 3/4" spindle

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Looking for a tabbed washer for a Delta shaper with a 3/4" spindle. Currently using a regular flat washer which is better than nothing. Thanks.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That tabbed washer is intended for times when the shaper is run in reverse. For regular counterclockwise rotation, the washer is not an asset and can be eliminated.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Some automobile ( rear wheel drive) front spindles use tabbed washers to keep retaining nut from spinning. Might check the "help section" of local parts store

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Perhaps "tabbed" isn't quite correct in this instant. The washer in question is often called a "keyed" washer and even that descriptor can be confusing to different people.
The washer in question has a 'tab' that fits in the machined keyway of the shaper spindle. The Powermatic keyed washer often fits also but sometimes takes a little grinding.

Below are the keyed washers for both the 1/2" and the 3/4" shafts for Powermatic shaper spindles. Very similar to Delta.
1      keyed - 1.jpg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
something from here?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've been using a shaper of some sort since the mid 1970s Early on I would have to install a 1/2" bore cutter upside down to get some special cut. I don't think I've run in reverse in two or three decades since I learned to grind my own knives.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've been using a shaper of some sort since the mid 1970s Early on I would have to install a 1/2" bore cutter upside down to get some special cut. I don't think I've run in reverse in two or three decades since I learned to grind my own knives.
Would you like to write up a tutorial/how-to guide on this?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors