SYP Plywood suitable for building cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The wife is looking forward to some new southern yellow pine kitchen cabinets. I've glued up a bunch of 2 1/2" strips to make a bunch panels for the faces and a few of the sides that will show.

I'm having a heck of a time finding decent 3/4" SYP plywood. I wouldn't touch the potato chip AC and BC stuff they sell at the BORG. I guess it would be alright for construction purposes but because it's curled up like a potato chip it's surely not meant to build cabinets out of.

I have found some knotty white pine ply that good quality and might work but it's white pine and not Southern Yellow Pine the two mixed in will look pretty funky, unless I could finish it to match SYP. But even if I were to match the color with some toner the grain is completely different and won't match and it'll still look funky.

I would like to understand if I have thought out all my options?

1) Continue to keep gluing up panels and go for 100% solid wood cabinets.
2) Veneer some SYP to 1/2" ply to get to 3/4"
3) Find someone who stocks "decent" 1/4" & 3/4" SYP Ply.

I prefer option #3, I have a 16' and a 12' wall that'll need cabinets, so I'm guessing I'll need several 3/4" and 1/4" sheets.

Thanks

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
In the past I could find decent SYP in the wider widths at the local Builders' supply (i.e. 2 x8, and 2 x 10) from which I could make decent panels. The 8ft 2 x 8s were running about $3.45 apiece the last time I was there (about 6 months ago). Does take a few weeks in the shop to get the moisture down, tho. (KD19 that has traveled uncovered from who knows where in whatever weather. Lots of the boards are wet when unbanded so I sticker them in the garage for a while).

Don't know if Wall Lumber would have some decent ply or not.

Go

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, I'll be happy to make some SYP veneer for you if you want to veneer your own plywood. I would suggest that you veneer each side of the plywood in order to control movement.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff, I'll be happy to make some SYP veneer for you if you want to veneer your own plywood. I would suggest that you veneer each side of the plywood in order to control movement.

Scott, I know you would... Your a good man. I've not done any veneering to this magnitude. What's involved in veneering both sides of a sheet of plywood? what kind of core would be best? what kind of glue would be best? etc... perhaps a subject for another thread :dontknow:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Scott, I know you would... Your a good man. I've not done any veneering to this magnitude. What's involved in veneering both sides of a sheet of plywood? what kind of core would be best? what kind of glue would be best? etc... perhaps a subject for another thread :dontknow:

Two thoughts to offer. The Hardwood Store may be able to source good quality SYP plywood for you. Give them a call and talk with Jeff Shaw.

No veneering experience here, but I've read that MDF makes an excellent/flat substrate for the type of application that you're considering.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Big box plywood is all rotary cut, isn't it ? If you like the look of rotary-cut, then I'd experiment with a sheet of big-box plywood since any plywood panel is going to be controlled by a minimum of four other panels (e.g. a gable is attached to a top, bottom, back and face-frame). And maybe a fixed shelf too.

I'm going to guess flat-sawn AB-grade SYP will make cherry ply look cheap.

-Mark

T

toolferone

If the face frames, doors and end panels are all SYP, why do you need the carcass to be SYP? I would go with a nice prefinished ply for the boxes so they will clean up easy and last a long time

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
The wife is looking forward to some new southern yellow pine kitchen cabinets. I've glued up a bunch of 2 1/2" strips to make a bunch panels for the faces and a few of the sides that will show.

I'm having a heck of a time finding decent 3/4" SYP plywood. I wouldn't touch the potato chip AC and BC stuff they sell at the BORG. I guess it would be alright for construction purposes but because it's curled up like a potato chip it's surely not meant to build cabinets out of.

I have found some knotty white pine ply that good quality and might work but it's white pine and not Southern Yellow Pine the two mixed in will look pretty funky, unless I could finish it to match SYP. But even if I were to match the color with some toner the grain is completely different and won't match and it'll still look funky.

I would like to understand if I have thought out all my options?

1) Continue to keep gluing up panels and go for 100% solid wood cabinets.
2) Veneer some SYP to 1/2" ply to get to 3/4"
3) Find someone who stocks "decent" 1/4" & 3/4" SYP Ply.

I prefer option #3, I have a 16' and a 12' wall that'll need cabinets, so I'm guessing I'll need several 3/4" and 1/4" sheets.

Thanks
We do have several sheets of 3/4" SYP plywood at The Hardwood Store of NC. Unfortunately we don't have any 1/4" available. The 3/4" is $60.00 per sheet.

Thanks.

Cheryl
www.hardwoodstore.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS