Swivel counter stools

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
This is one of those relaxing projects, no deadline, no plans, just wing it.

Step one, cut the legs as per the pic.

Step two will be making a round ring that goes around the legs, step three the round seat and support. No idea yet how I am going to make those?

Any ideas?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Band saw with circle cutting jig or router with circle cutting jig. The router could do both inside and outside then change bits to round over to finish up.
(I might try the scrollsaw) :p

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
My suggestion is segmented also.. I think you would be able to make something worthy of your kitchen. You can do some very elaborate work with either wood types or jointery. Charlie is the local Master, he's only up here in Raleigh in you want the road trip.

Edited to add detail. Here is a feature ring by KenofCary, another good segmenter. Take a look at feature rings for some ideas. Thanks Ken for letting me steal your picture.

DSC_0604.jpg

Last edited:

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
My suggestion is segmented also.. I think you would be able to make something worthy of your kitchen. You can do some very elaborate work with either wood types or jointery. Charlie is the local Master, he's only up here in Raleigh in you want the road trip.

Edited to add detail. Here is a feature ring by KenofCary, another good segmenter. Take a look at feature rings for some ideas. Thanks Ken for letting me steal your picture.

DSC_0604.jpg
I have done my share of segmented vessels when there are scraps not to be wasted. Linky below.

Have not done much laminated forms, perhaps there is a place for both methods in this project.

https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/segmented-pot.58025/#lg=post-534114&slide=0

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike, would you do a full circle with one form and clamps, or a half circle with two forms and then join the half circles together?
I would do a full circle for the greater strength. I would cut some test strips of the wood to see what is the optimum thickness, greatest thickness that bends easily. I would taper the ends of each piece to avoid butt joints in the layers.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

DSC_0604.jpg
In order to be comfortable with the long term mechanical strength of this method I would need to have overlapping pieces rather than all butt joints. There is a lot of stress in a chair/seat/stool.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought that ring looked familiar. Like Mike I'm not sure a segmented ring would hold up for the foot rest. In a bowl or vessel there is a lot of strength from the layered rings glued together supporting each other. A single ring like that, although it would look very nice, might not be all that strong.

jbarbour

New User
Jim
Perhaps Pure Timber’s “Cold Bend” bendable wood? I have used it in smaller things and found it quite remarkable. Much like laminated stock, but in a solid piece. With a long taper lap joint it should work just fine. http://www.puretimber.com/

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Sixteen legs for four stools cut and glued up, still have to be finish milled.

Have not decided how to do the rings yet, stay tuned.

Any chair builders here?

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS