Supermax dual drum sander conveyor tracking

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a Supermax 37-2 Dual Drum Sander. I cannot seem to get the conveyor belt to track straight. I adjust the back roller to be exactly parallel to the front roller and the conveyor belt will run straight until I start to sand some wood - I am sanding 2" wide poplar with 120 and 150 and very light take off. After I sand maybe 100 feet of the wood the conveyor belt will have shifted to the right side. I have tried to put more tension on the right and then the left but the belt always climbs to the right. What am I doing wrong. Help please

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
It's interesting that it tracks fine until you start sanding. It makes me wonder if one of the rollers isn't secured and is moving once there is a force applied to it from the wood being sanded.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's interesting that it tracks fine until you start sanding. It makes me wonder if one of the rollers isn't secured and is moving once there is a force applied to it from the wood being sanded.
The rear roller, the adjustable one, seem to be locked down well enough not to move.

The had a thought that maybe the sanding drums were not exactly parallel to the conveyor. I cut a 40 " piece of poplar in half and ran one half thru on the outboard side and the other thru the inboard side. I then measured the thickness of each - there is less than .001 difference.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
This just started happening with a machine youve been using?
Yes but I put a new conveyor belt on a month ago and I have worked it hard the last few days. Must be the belt. It is an aftermarket belt that I paid about $50 for - guess I should have bought better

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've had to change the conveyor belt on my 37x2 twice. After each time I adjusted the tracking by following the steps under "Belt Tracking" on pg. 9, Fig. 10. Once I got it adjusted it has never moved on it's own. I've bought conveyor belts from Highland and I believe Klingspor, both were good quality.

Just FYI: I've also bought the 3" abrasive rolls from a company called SuperGrit. Very poor quality. I now buy those exclusively from Klingspor.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
Just a thought, since you have used the sander a lot, perhaps the roller itself is now weak and flexing causing the belt to move.

Lecil

mpeele

michael
User
I have your sanders little brother (supermax 16-32) and had problems with belt tracking. What cured my problem was making sure top of belt rollers were flush with table. I had to remove belt and use a straight edge to adjust rollers.

Belt also need to be tighter than you think, at least tighter than I thought.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a Performax 16-32. I could never get the sandpaper conveyer belt to track correctly. I replaced the sandpaper belt with a rubber belt and it tracks perfectly. Sorry I do not remember where I got it.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Those belts are normally not glued true, which means measuring the rollers don't help.

With my 16/32 when it was new, I had to continuously tweak the adjustment, until is settled in after a lot of use. Now I never have to adjust.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
FIXED - THANKS Willem. I mistake I made was in the tension. I had started with exactly parallel rollers and then alternatively adjusted the right and left sides a quarter turn each until I got adequate drive and then only slightly adjusted to ensure straight tracking with only the conveyor running - but when pressure was added during sanding the belt started moving.
This time I adjusted the tension and paid attention to getting same tension on each side - I lifted each side of the belt off the conveyor and adjusted until equal. I then just for grins measured how parallel the front and back rollers were. The difference was almost 1/4" .238 to be exact. Thanks for all the responses

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS