Sunburst table top series

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Here's a guy building a sunburst table top using modern tooling. He shows every step as he builds the piece. You will note that this is part 4 and you can find the videos for the earlier steps by going to his site. If you have considered making a sunburst veneered table top, this is a really good breakdown of the process.

Take a look maybe its something you would like to try.

By the way, that cherry in Guy's video looks a lot like the cherry Phil S gave to me to make the table below.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is neat, but Dan you don't use PVA or cold press adhesive, you use hyde glue, right?
Now what about edge banding - I am guessing you don't use iron-on banding. So, how would you do that?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Excellent tutorial. I need to try this, right after I build my time machine.

Thanks Dan

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
That is neat, but Dan you don't use PVA or cold press adhesive, you use hyde glue, right?

Correct Hank. On the 2 tables I have built, I didn't tape all the pieces together before glue up. I just take out my veneer hammer and put them in one piece at a time. You're wondering? The last piece -- yes it is cut a bit larger and fit on both sides as you hammer it down.

Fast forward: I have a veneer bag now and I would do it the way he did it except I would use hide glue on both sides of the veneer and put some salt in the mix to slow it down and leave me more time before placing it in the bag.

Now what about edge banding - I am guessing you don't use iron-on banding. So, how would you do that?

Again hide glue with some painter's tape to hold in place or if the pieces are thick enough you can simply do a "rub joint" application. I did it both ways on my tables and I use hide to repair all of the edge banding that comes to me for repairs. Most of the time I just take a clothes iron if it was built before 1950 and apply some heat and tape it back.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS