Stork inlay practice

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I said I would give this a try. This is just practice people. Not the real deal. This is cut in 1/8” BB. This is the thinnest I have ever tried this. I painted the piece to give contrast. It didn’t finish quite flush. The difference? The thickness of the shelf liner to protect the wood and the paper pattern. Yep, it mattered. Haven’t tried the stars yet. Might have to alter the pattern slightly for the feathers, or practice more to get them more pointy.
Well, it seems I have insufficient memory. I can’t post the picture. I will add the picture as soon as I can figure it out.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I said I would give this a try. This is just practice people. Not the real deal. This is cut in 1/8” BB. This is the thinnest I have ever tried this. I painted the piece to give contrast. It didn’t finish quite flush. The difference? The thickness of the shelf liner to project the wood and the paper pattern. Yep, it mattered. Haven’t tried the stars yet. Might have to alter the pattern slightly for the feathers, or practice more to get them more pointy.
Well, it seems I have insufficient memory. I can’t post the picture. I will add the picture as soon as I can figure it out.

Can't wait.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Can you email me the pics? Then I will post em....

I said I would give this a try. This is just practice people. Not the real deal. This is cut in 1/8” BB. This is the thinnest I have ever tried this. I painted the piece to give contrast. It didn’t finish quite flush. The difference? The thickness of the shelf liner to project the wood and the paper pattern. Yep, it mattered. Haven’t tried the stars yet. Might have to alter the pattern slightly for the feathers, or practice more to get them more pointy.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Looks pretty awesome to me!

image1.jpeg

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I guess that's an option, but Berta sed she needs to work in 1/4" thick medium. I actually would prefer it 1/4 thick - this way I can resaw it in half and get two medallions out of it. Or I can use 1mm (.040") thick ebony and holly laminated to a less expensive wood making the sandwich a quarter inch thick. Anyway a raised medallion is not appropriate for this project. Thanks for giving me this option though. Its a good alternative for a future project. Matt...

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Wait, what? I can do this 1/4 inch? You know I have just been doing this in 1/8 BB Ply right?

OH, and I tried the stars. Getting the ends pointy is not doing to well. When is this due? I don’t have 3/0 blades. The smallest I have are 2/0. Are there smaller ones? Scott? Bruce?
They don’t come in fast. I will go back to fine tuning the stork in the meantime.
I do have a piece of Katalox (Mexican Ebony) and a small bit of Curly Maple, and some blueish Holly in 1/4 inch. I could use as a sample to mail to you.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wait, what? I can do this 1/4 inch? You know I have just been doing this in 1/8 BB Ply right?

OH, and I tried the stars. Getting the ends pointy is not doing to well. When is this due? I don’t have 3/0 blades. The smallest I have are 2/0. Are there smaller ones? Scott? Bruce?
They don’t come in fast. I will go back to fine tuning the stork in the meantime.
I do have a piece of Katalox (Mexican Ebony) and a small bit of Curly Maple, and some blueish Holly in 1/4 inch. I could use as a sample to mail to you.

The smallest blades I have seen available are 8/0 jeweler blades. They are Swiss made and sold under the name Pike. They have 84 teeth per inch vs a 2/0 blade that has 56 teeth per inch. http://www.ottofrei.com/jewelry-tools-equipment/bench-tools/saw-blades

I have never used any blades smaller then a 2/0.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I found some 1/8” cherry and yellow heart in my wood stash. I got rid of the entry hole. Good!
i clipped some feathers. Bad, very bad. I took a pict with a K-cup so you have scale.

I will email them to Matt. Scott try this!

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I think we have a winner for the craziest statement of the week: Berta saying that this is above her capabilities. Good work Berta! Don't sell yourself short, you are extremely talented with the scroll saw.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can not get the feathers. It gaps. It is frustrating. There are gaps all around the feathers. The inlays I am used to doing are more simple. Just an outline. View attachment 29709

Gaps???? We are often our own toughest critic. One way to get a better fit is to cut the dove out of material that is slightly thicker then the lid and once in place and glued sand it flat.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS