Storing Latex Paint

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Most of my projects are painted white using a roller, whenever possible. Normally I will pour the paint onto the project (like a shelf) and roll it out, hitting the hard spots with a brush. It's a pain to open the can, stir it thoroughly, pour it onto the project, and close up the can when I'm done because of the paint that gets into the rim of the can. I have a lot of crystal clear one gallon milk jugs. Is there a reason that the milk jug would not be suitable for storing latex paint? As the the paint volume gets low in the jug, will there be too much air in the jug? It would be a lot easier to pour a little paint out of a milk jug than it is to handle a paint can. I could even shake the jug to avoid having to stir the paint.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Lots of painters use the .5-.7 mil drop cloth plastic and lay it on top of the paint in the can before closing the lid

jerrye

New User
Jerry
To resolve paint in the rim: Use an 8 or 10 penny nail, drive four holes evenly spaced around the perimeter, through the rim. Think 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock. Any paint that gets into the rim will drain back into the can.

To keep paint fresh and clean: Store your cans upside down. This puts any skinning of the paint at the bottom when reopening it, preventing you from having to deal with skinned over paint in stirring it for reuse.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I just clean the lid and lip before I close it up. A bit of plastic or wax paper on the top or upside down works. You can also get a little can of Argon to fill the void. ( I might try a squirt of mix gas)
Most important is not to freeze.

Might be hard to get all the solids in a jug well suspended. With a can you can get the stick down there.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
On occasion, I have made a 'vee' with tape across the top of the can to make sort of a pour spout on the can. If I get the tape sealed around the inner rim, there is minimal paint into the rim.

And I clean the rim. Paper towel and a screwdriver.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors