stop hinges

jrmckins

New User
Jim
Hi all. I'm not much of a woodworker but when I gave up beekeeping, and saw all the wonderfully patinated frames I had, I knew I wanted to build something with them. I decided on a box which I then decided to convert to a watch box. It's pretty simple. No nails or screws (just Gorilla Glue). I love the simplicity and very rustic look. It's about 12x8x4 inches. I don't like that the lid opens all the way and I'm looking for a way to open it just enough and then stop. I've considered a chain but I don't want to risk scratching a watch. I then looked at stop hinges but I can't find any that would mount flush outside the box. They all look like they need to be morticed in. The picture with the lid open is about how far I'd like it to stop.

open 3.jpg
closed 1.jpg
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You can try mounting the stop hinges on the back without mortising them in but making the mortises isn't very difficult to do.

These stop mount hinges don't require a mortise and at $1.90/pair are worth a try. A side view picture of your watch box with a few dimensions would be helpful.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
You could just attach a matching strip of wood or a couple of small blocks along the rear of the box just at the point that it would block the lid from opening too far.

jrmckins

New User
Jim
You could just attach a matching strip of wood or a couple of small blocks along the rear of the box just at the point that it would block the lid from opening too far.
I was also thinking of a ribbon that matches the red (instead of a chain)

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Add a strip to the back of the lid and make yourself a pair of gimmals (aka snipe bill hinges). Rustic and easy to make. I've made some for a couple of boxes I've made.

20160220_133611.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS