Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
STOKES STOMP

43rd Stokes Stomp

September 9th & 10th

Danbury, N.C. – Moratock Park in Danbury will once again be the center of Stokes County’s cultural universe on September 9 & 10 as the Stokes County Arts Council presents the 43rd Stokes Stomp Festival on the Dan. Held on the banks of the beautiful Dan River, 1077 Sheppard Mill Rd., the 43rd Stomp will showcase the best in traditional and Americana music groups, visual arts and craft demonstrations, river activities, dance troupes, children’s area visual and performing arts, and local food vendors.
A stellar lineup of music and dance talent will be featured in the Main Stage area and include the North, South, and West Stokes Marching Bands and many more.
The Stokes Stomp Festival on the Dan is organized each year by the Stokes County Arts Council and remains a FREE Admission, FREE parking event thanks to our sponsors.
Safety, parking, medical, and maintenance support for the Stokes Stomp is provided by the Danbury Volunteer Fire Department, Stokes Public Works, Stokes County District Resource Center, Stokes County Sheriff’s Department, Pioneer Hospital, Stokes County Health Department, Stokes County Emergency Medical Services.

The parade starts at 9am Saturday. They would like us to be in the parking lot before then.
Sunday the show starts at 10am.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: STOKES STOMP September 9-10

Thanks Mike. Did I miss the opening/closing times in the blurb or is it missing?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Not in there, let me go look around.

Not available from their web site, have a call in the the directors to get info, will post as soon as I know.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

We will have our Outreach trailer along with several of our highly trained instructors and other volunteers. Will have hands on projects free to the public. In the past we helped the kids make light sabers, spinning tops, peg games, and maybe a few other projects that they got to take home.

Would you like to volunteer to help?

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

I will be there on Sunday Mike.....Folks we need some volunteers... If your in the Triad please come help even if its just for a few hours. If you live anywhere else.....its a nice drive up to see some great folks. Anyone from Raleigh that wants to go on Sun can ride with me.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User

As of now I should be good to help out on Sat 9/9. I've never done any turning but will help out however I can. Caveat here is that my house is still on the market so if something happens there then my plans could change at any time.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

As of now I should be good to help out on Sat 9/9. I've never done any turning but will help out however I can. Caveat here is that my house is still on the market so if something happens there then my plans could change at any time.

Thanks for volunteering to help with the Stokes Stomp Outreach event. It's always good to see new faces at any outreach project.

The Stokes Stomp is the longest continuously running arts festival in North Carolina - this will be th 43rd Stokes Stomp!

jfynyson

Jeremy
User

I just sent this event notice to a bunch of folks I work with to help spread the word of the event and bring their kids to come learn some woodworking fun as well

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

If you are interested in participating in this Outreach Event but are a little skeptical or hesitant because of your lack of experience in turning, please allow me to tell a little story . . .

I joined NCWW in 2014 when I finally had the time and shop area to persue a long-simmering interest in woodworking. The following year Mike Davis asked me if I would like to help with NCWW Outreach at the Klingspor Extravaganza in Hickory. My immediate reply, "what can I do, I don't know how to turn?" Mike gave me a brief introduction to the lathe at his shop one evening and the following week I was headed up I-40 to Hickory. After setting up the NCWW area on Thursday, Raymond and a couple of others led me through the light saber turning process. The next day I was helping others turn a saber handle and having great fun doing it. I have met both other NCWW members and many others who came to make a light saber. Last year at the Klingspor Extravaganza I bought a lathe and was asked earlier this year to be Outreach co-chairman alongside golfdad (Dirk).

Yes, you can be a NCWW Outreach participant, meet great people and have fun in introducing others to woodworking. By the way, we also have other activities at the Outreach tent, including building birdhouses and bee houses.

So, what are you waiting for? Sign-up!

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I am still planning on being there to help out Sat 9/9 but my son's soccer just started back and their first games are this same weekend. His game may be Friday night but it could very well be scheduled Sat morning and we'll not have a set game time/date for a week or so (unfortunately). If it's Friday night I can be there any time Sat if his game is Sat it'll be I. Kville so I'll not be able to make it to Danbury until after lunch time.

Once I know more I'll update you. Please let me know if any specific tools are needed.

thanks

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am still planning on being there to help out Sat 9/9 but my son's soccer just started back and their first games are this same weekend. His game may be Friday night but it could very well be scheduled Sat morning and we'll not have a set game time/date for a week or so (unfortunately). If it's Friday night I can be there any time Sat if his game is Sat it'll be I. Kville so I'll not be able to make it to Danbury until after lunch time.

Once I know more I'll update you. Please let me know if any specific tools are needed.

thanks

Most of what we need will be in the Outreach Trailer that will be there. We just need people to man the booths. We really appreciate any time you can make it there to help out either Saturday or Sunday as this is a two day event. It has been really well attended and our presence has been truly appreciated. Which is why we do this.

Thank you for any support you can give us and them.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for adding the times. I will definitely be there on Saturday most all day and Sunday is still a maybe. Susan says she might even try to attend - hopefully there will be some handicap access so she can get around on her knee scooter. It does not have all-terrain wheels, but is pretty maneuverable.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Here's a list of those who have signed - up to help with the Stokes Stomp. Please remember this is a two - day event with setup on Friday afternoon.

I will update the list as needed.

NameSetup
(Friday)
SaturdaySunday
Dirk - golfdadX
jfmysonX
Ken - KenOfCaryX?
BarryXXX
Mike DavisXXX
BertaXXX
ChuckXXX
Neal - bowmanX
Donn WardX

Too many empty fields, I would like to add more!!

Last edited:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Wow...come on folks . we need at least 3 more volunteers for this event. If you havent been to an event please come out. I promise you will have a great time. If you new to woodworking or to our site dont be shy. We will have you helping kids in a jiffy.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I am happy to saw that my new mess are working and I am planning on being there and scrolling! Been practicing!

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I can bring some draw knives and some logs if you think some folks might like stripping logs ? They could then use a hand saw (I can bring a couple) to make short log sections into a tea light candles (if we will have a drill press and clamp capable), paper weight, decoration, etc...

Let me know if anyone would be interested in this option but if everything is already planned out no worries

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was planning to do something like that, but since we have the trailer we can do lathe, scroll, and our regular projects.

Your help with the regular projects would be highly appreciated and much needed...

Don't worry we train super fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors