Stickers for drying lumber

JonasBailer

New User
JonasBailer
I'm going to have about 16 logs (oak, cherry, and ash) milled up soon. I've never had someone mill my cut trees before. I've been reading up on how to prepare to stack and sticker it and it seems most people recommend 3/4" to 1" thick stickers. Does it matter what kind of wood I use? I've read they should be dry, but that's about it. Looking for advice to minimize my chances of ruining this opportunity.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
Yes they should be dry. the 3/4"-1" is a good size. The stickers should line up vertically in the stack. That'll keep them from warping due to the otherwise improper weight distribution of unaligned stickers.

JonasBailer

New User
JonasBailer
Thanks. Would kiln-dried pine from a home store work? What about 3/4" scrap plywood cut into strips? Would that hold up in the weather or just disintegrate while the stack is drying?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Get your sawyer to mill you some when he's cutting your logs, it'll be much cheaper than anything you can by from the box stores. That's what I did last time I took a load to be milled.

badger fan

Bruce
User
I am not sure where you live but I have a lot I am not using and would be happy to give to you.
Where are you located, I am in Raleigh

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Jonas - Here is a video that I made on how I build a platform for air drying my lumber:

Don't use plywood stickers. I tried that the first time and they just fell apart. Pine from a home store is fine. You'll be fine with anything below 30% MC in my experience. Completely green stickers will many times cause sticker stain.

waitup

New User
Matt
The last stuff we had sawn was done by Jack Murdock and he charged a little more to sticker it, but it was worth it.

llucas

luke
Senior User
if you get the sawyer to make the stickers, I would advise making them square...ie 1"x1" or 3/4"x3/4"...that way you dont have to worry which side goes up. and make more than you think you will need. Its a real pain to run out of stickers

Reactions: Oka

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
Millmarks makes an important point about vertical alignment. I would add that the spacing needs to be about every two feet, both ends of the boards supported by stickers and the stickers should be placed directly over the cribbing you build your stack on.

mpeele

michael
User
I had issue with sticker stains when using fresh cut sticker sticks. It's best to use KD or air dried stickers all the same thickness. Blow or sweep the sawdust to prevent mold growth and stains. Some species are more prone to staining than others. When stacking put the best boards on bottom of stack and do align sticks.

JonasBailer

New User
JonasBailer
My sawyer will be supplying 1x1x4' stickers. He'll sell them to me and then buy them back later at 2/3 the price. I figure it's a good enough deal and I won't get stuck with 100's of stickers I probably won't need again for a long time.

JonasBailer

New User
JonasBailer
Jonas - Here is a video that I made on how I build a platform for air drying my lumber:

Don't use plywood stickers. I tried that the first time and they just fell apart. Pine from a home store is fine. You'll be fine with anything below 30% MC in my experience. Completely green stickers will many times cause sticker stain.

Thanks! I was planning on using 4x4's over cinder blocks (over gravel on plastic) but this looks like a nice option too. It's bugging me that I don't have a covered area to store it in and will have count on metal roofing sheets with more cinder blocks not blowing off. Some day will get that shed/barn built.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I like the 6X6 frames because it makes it easy to move the platform. You can also pick it up in one piece and put it in the back of a full size pickup.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS